1 SAMUEL 25 – WISDOM ON DISPLAY
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7
- We have all known wise people.
- It is always encouraging when wisdom is displayed, especially in tenuous situations!
- In this passage the wise person is a woman named Abigail. Her wisdom was on display.
SHE ADORNED A BAD SITUATION. – 1 Samuel 25:1-13
- David was fleeing Saul, settling in Southern Judea. There was a rich man named Nabal there. His name means “fool”. He was not a nice man, and a moral wreck. Isaiah 32:6, 1 Samuel 25:1-3
- His wife, Abigail, had a different way about her. She was not only good looking but had “good understanding”. She was a wise woman in a bad situation, probably due to an arranged marriage.
- David’s men were sent on a day of prosperity and finance. They had protected Nabal’s interests and were now looking for a “tip”. Nabal acted in character, thus offending David who planned to retaliate. 1 Samuel 25:4-13
SHE ACCEPTED GOOD ADVICE. – 1 Samuel 25:14-17
- Abigail was approachable. She listened and was willing to act. David’s plan would have been devastating to innocent people. A wise person will listen to reason!
SHE ACTED QUICKLY AND DISCREETLY. – 1 Samuel 25:18-22
- She gathered a suitable gift and sent it on ahead. Then she went out to meet David.
- Meanwhile, Davd was on his way with a vengeance.
SHE APPEALED HUMBLY AND REASONABLY. – 1 Samuel 25:23-31
- She humbled herself and took responsibility, admitting her husband was a scoundrel and a fool. 1 Samuel 25:23- 25
- She appealed to David for forgiveness, asking him to accept her gift. 1 Samuel 25:26-28
- She expressed confidence that God would give victory over his enemies and suggested that the slaughter of Nabal should not be a “blot on his record”. 1 Samuel 25:29-31
- She made a request to be well remembered when David was victorious. 1 Samuel 25:31
SHE ACHIEVED PEACE AND POSITION. – 1 Samuel 25:32-42
- David wisely accepted Abigail’s plea. 1 Samuel 25:32-35
- Nabal was judged by God. 1 Samuel 25:36-38
- David praised God, admitted that he was kept from doing the wrong and proposed to Abigail who accepted. 1 Samuel 25:39-42