MARK 4:13-20 – WHEN THE WORD IS HEARD!
- Jesus told the parable of the Sower and the Soils in Mark 4:1-9.
- Jesus began by saying “Listen!” or “Pay attention!” in Verse 3.
- He ended with “He who has hear, let him hear!” in verse 9. Jesus was saying “Get the point!”
- 10 – The twelve and other believers, or “insiders” didn’t get the point. In Luke 8:9 we are told that they also asked “What does this parable mean?”
- I think of a parable as an earthly story or illustration with a heavenly application or meaning.
- 11-12 – The outsiders who had rejected the Lord Jesus would hear parables and not understand them. The insiders would hear the parables and would get them or have them explained.
- 13 – Jesus is saying this “If you don’t understand this parable, which is basic, you won’t understand the rest of them either.
- In verse 14 Jesus tells us that the seed is representative of the Word of God. It’s being sown or spread on a field.
- Jesus sowed the Word as He proclaimed and taught it.
- The disciples sowed the Word as they proclaimed and taught it. Any preacher or Bible teacher does the same today.
- You do as well if you ever witness to others or explain thing that the Bible says.
- Right now, the Word of God is being sown or taught to you, that’s important. Isaiah 55:11-12, Romans 10:17, 1 Corinthians 1:18, 1 Timothy 4:2
- In this parable, Jesus is telling us that you, the listener, will have one of four basic responses. How you respond indicates whether you are an “insider” or an “outsider”. It indicates whether you are a true believer in Christ or not.
- I challenge you to ask yourself honestly, how do I respond to the preaching, teaching, and/or reading of God’s Word?
AM I HARD SOIL? – IS THE WORD REMOVED? – Vs. 15
Fields were generally long and narrow with well-traveled paths on the edges. Seed could not penetrate the paths, and birds would snatch the seed and eat it. When a person has no interest in the Word or is resistant to it, Satan snatches the Word away before it germinates.
AM I SHALLOW SOIL? – IS THE WORD RESISTED? – Vss. 16-17
Rocky soil here is a rocky ledge underneath the surface. Seed cannot put its roots down deep into the soil. This type of soil produces results that sprout quickly but whither at the first sign of hardship.
Some people respond quickly to the message of salvation and appear that they headed for Christian “stardom”. But if hard times or persecution arises, they are “out of here!”
AM I THORNY SOIL – IS THE WORD RESTRICTED? – Vss. 18-19
Thorny soil means that it is infested with thorns and weeds, and the good seed is choked and not fruitful. When the Word is preached it is choked off with cares, love of riches, and other things that hinder a productive Christian life. Matthew 6:19-21, 24, 1 John 2:15-17
AM I GOOD SOIL? – IS THE WORD RECEIVED? – Vs. 20
Good soil produces good fruit. The Word sown in a good heart produces fruit because it is believed and acted upon. Luke 8:15