MARK 5:21-43 – WAIT!
In a day when there are Keurig machines that make coffee in seconds, cell phones that show you the pictures you take instantly, and Amazon who provides next day delivery of items ordered, we have become an impatient people.
- We don’t like to wait in line.
- We don’t like being stuck in traffic.
- We don’t like waiting for our food to be served.
- We don’t like waiting for test results from doctors.
- We don’t like it when we have to wait for people to “Get with the program.”
- We don’t like it when we have to wait for an answer.
- And we don’t like it when the Lord wants us to wait!
From the beginning, however, waiting has been a way of life for God’s people.
- Abraham had to wait for Isaac to be born.
- Israel had to wait 400 years to be delivered from Egypt.
- David had to wait for God to deal with Saul before he could become king.
- Israel had to wait 70 years before it could return to the land after their captivity in Babylon.
- We are waiting for the second coming of Christ.
- We are told to wait on the Lord. Psalm 27:14
- Another word we can use is patience.
- We will all have to wait, but how we wait is key. We need to wait in faith. Psalm 62:5
Jairus, in our Scripture reading this morning, is an example of waiting on Jesus or God in faith.
WHEN STUCK IN TRAFFIC, WAIT IN FAITH! – Mark 5:21-24
- He came to Jesus by faith and asked for help.
- We must come to Jesus by faith for salvation.
- We must come to Jesus in prayer.
- 24 – They were thronging Jesus. Things were slow.
- God’s ways are measured. Sometimes he acts quickly and other times he tells us to wait through the stuff.
WHEN TESTED, WAIT IN FAITH! – Mark 5:25-34
- This was another faith story, and Jairus, must have been amazed and encouraged hearing the testimony of the woman, but his daughter was dying!
- As the delay in God’s answers get longer, and we see God working in other peoples’ lives, but must hang in with faith!
WHEN IN TURMOIL, WAIT IN FAITH! Mark 5:35-36
- 35 – The dreaded outcome happened.
- 36 – Jesus’ advice was “Have faith!” He was saying, “Keep trusting me!”
WHEN CLOSE TO TRIUMPH, WAIT IN FAITH! – Mark 5:37-45
- There will always be naysayers.