Hebrews 11:1-8 – TWO WORDS!
Much can be communicated in two-word phrases. Let me give you some examples.
- That’s great!
- Oh, no!
- Forgive me.
- Let’s eat!
- You bet!
- You didn’t!
- I guess!
- Not now!
- No way!
- You’re fired! I quit!
- Good job!
- I’m sorry!
- Love you!
- Bless you!
- That’s all! The end!
When God uses two words several times, we need to take notice, especially in these challenging days of pandemics, inflation, moral decline, wars, and rumors of war! We need help that comes from God! Did you notice the two words in our text? “BY FAITH”!
Let’s put this in context. Hebrews 10:35-39
Now comes what is commonly know as the “Faith Chapter”, or God’s Hall of Faith. In these verses we find encouragement, and real-life examples of those who lived by faith!
“Faith is confidence in God, a firm conviction that what He says is true and what He promises He will do.” Chuck Swindoll
BY FAITH WE HAVE CONFIDENCE – Hebrews 11:1-2
- Not blind faith! General and Special Revelation. Vs. 6
- It is the “substance”, “assurance” (ESV), or “certainty” (NASB) of things hoped for.
- It is the “evidence”, “conviction” (ESV) or “proof” (NASB) of what we can’t see! Example – 1 John 5:13-14
- Chapter is about people with good testimonies! Vs. 2
BY FAITH WE HAVE A CREATOR – Hebrews 11:3
- Worlds = ages – He made something out of nothing! Psalm 33:6-9, Colossians 1:16,
BY FAITH WE HAVE A COVERING – Hebrews 11:4
- Genesis 4:4 – By faith a blood sacrifice. Hebrews 9:22, 27-28, 10:19, Romans 5:1
BY FAITH WE HAVE A COMPANION – Hebrews 11:5-6
- Genesis 5:22-24
- 6 – How Enoch pleased God.
- Amos 3:3 – I must agree to meet with God. John 15:4-7, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
BY FAITH WE HAVE A COMMITMENT – Hebrews 11:7-8
- By Faith Noah obeyed!
- By Faith Abraham obeyed!
- Faith without obedience is not faith at all! Galatians 5:16-26