TITUS 3:1-7 – BACK TO BASICS – PART 2
Lesson #7 – GODLY LIVING IN THE CHURCH
(A Complete Lesson)
- Count your blessings! What things do you have from God for which you are grateful?
- Why is it that we tend to moan over the things we don’t have instead of being appreciative for what we do have?
- Ephesians 1:3 – Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
In Titus 3:1-7 we find Paul presenting some “basics” that are important for us to understand as Christians. In verses 1-3 we have already seen how we are to behave as Christians and what we were as unbelievers. The three-point outline for verses 1-7 is mine, but the idea of three sections of seven points each comes from John MacArthur. John MacArthur, The MacArthur New Testament Commentary – Titus, (Chicago, Moody Press, 1996), pp.136-155
In this lesson, which covers the last of the three points, we examine what we have in Christ according to verses 4-7.
WHAT WE HAVE IN CHRIST:
- KINDNESS – Vs. 4
- We have already itemized many ways that God has been kind to us when we counted our blessings.
- Look at what we were as unbelievers in verse 3. Why did we need God’s kindness?
- Why is God’s kindness such an amazing thing?
- How kind would you be if someone treated you the way you as an unsaved person, or even now as a saved person have treated God?
- According to Romans 2:4 the kindness (goodness) of God should lead us to repentance.
- LOVE FOR MANKIND – Vs. 4
- What Bible verses come to mind when you think of the love of God towards man?
- What important doctrinal teaching concerning Christ is alluded to in this verse? Why is it often challenged by people living under the “Christian” banner and those who do not claim to be Christians?
- By his very action of going to the cross, Jesus screams to us, “I love you!” Why are we as Christians so passé about this love?
- MERCY – Vs. 5
- Why are people so hung up on earning their way to Heaven?
- Why is God so adamant here and in other passages that man can not earn his way to Heaven?
- According to John MacArthur, “…grace relates to guilt, mercy relates to affliction.” God took pity on our need. MacArthur, p. 154
- WASHING OF REGENERATION – Vs. 5
- Look at John 3:1-8 – What is amazing about the new birth?
- What part does God’s Word have in regeneration?
Ephesians 5:26 – That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
James 1:18 – Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
1 Peter 1:23 – Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
- RENEWING OF THE HOLY GHOST
2 Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
John 14:16-18 – And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
John 16:13-14 – Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Galatians 5:22-23 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Ephesians 3:16-17 – That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith…
- JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOR – Vs 6
- How is the work of God, the Holy Spirit, dependent upon the work of God, the Son?
- How are God, the Father’s mercy and grace totally wrapped up in God the Son?
- Why should we always remember as believers that Jesus is our Savior? What impact should that have on the way we live?
- GRACE – Vs. 7
- According to this verse, “What’s so amazing about grace?”
- Whose heir are we? How should this affect us?
Romans 8:16-17 – The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
Revelation 20:6 – Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.