TITUS 2:11-15 – INSTRUCTED BY GRACE
GODLY LIVING IN THE CHURCH #5
(A COMPLETE LESSON)
Please react to each of these quotes on grace:
- “A man must completely despair of himself in order to become fit to obtain the grace of Christ.” Martin Luther
- “Abounding sin is the terror of the world, but abounding grace is the hope of mankind.” W. Tozer
- “As the earth can produce nothing unless it is fertilized by the sun, so we can do nothing without the grace of God.” Saint Jean Baptiste Marie Vianney
- “Grace grows best in winter.” Samuel Rutherford
All quotes are from Drapers Book of Quotations for the Christian World as found on Bible Illustrator 3.0
One of the greatest concepts in the whole Bible is that of “grace”. After encouraging specific groups of people to act in certain ways in Titus 2:1-10, Paul shows us that we are to be instructed by grace in Titus 2:11-15. Heeding such instruction will enable us to carry out the principles found in the first part of Titus 2.
THE APPEARANCE OF GRACE – Vs. 11
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
- How should we define grace?
- How did the grace of God appear in a way we could understand it? See John 1:14
- How is the Cross an advertisement for grace? See 2 Corinthians 5:21 and Romans 5:6-9
- In what ways has the “grace of God that bringeth salvation” appeared unto all men?
- How did God’s grace appear to you?
- How has God’s grace through salvation changed you? Why is this an important question to answer? Ephesians 2:8-10, 2 Corinthians 5:17
THE APPLICATION OF GRACE – Vs. 12
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
- Why do we need to be taught by grace?
- Why would grace teach us to deny “ungodliness and worldly lusts? How would you define each of these terms?
- How do we go about denouncing “ungodliness and worldly lusts”?
- How does living soberly or “sensibly” affect our lifestyle?
- How does living righteously affect those around us?
- How does living a godly life impact my relationship with God?
- Why is it important to have the behavior described in this verse “in the present world”?
THE ASPIRATION OF GRACE – Vs. 13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
- The two terms “blessed hope” and “the glorious appearing are referring to the same event. We are waiting for the rapture! 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
- Why did Jesus tell us to watch for His coming? Matthew 25:13, Mark 13:35-37
- How should watching for Jesus’ coming effect our attitudes and our behavior?
- What are some key ingredients in watching for Jesus’ coming, and why? 1 Peter 4:7, 1 Thessalonians 5:1-10
THE ACTIVITY (OR ACTION) OF GRACE – Vs. 14
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
- Jesus, by His grace, took action for us! He gave Himself for us!
- How complete is our redemption and why?
- How should being a “purified people” affect our behavior? See 1 John 3:1-3.
- How are we a peculiar people?
- Why are we not always zealous for good works? How can we fix that problem?
THE AUTHORITY OF GRACE – Vs. 15
These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
- God in His grace has set Godly men, like Timothy, over us.
- Why should a preacher speak with authority?
- Describe the boldness that a preacher should have.