TITUS 2:1-1O – LESSONS
GODLY LIVING IN THE CHURCH #4 on Titus
A Complete Lesson
- What are some lessons that children need to learn?
- What are some lessons that teenagers need to learn?
- What are some lessons that young adults need to learn?
- What are some lessons that senior citizens need to learn?
No matter what our age or lot in life there seems to be no lack for lessons that need to be learned. In Titus 2:1-10 Paul shares with us some lessons that different groups need to learn within the church. These lessons, when learned, lead the church into a Godly lifestyle.
IN CONTEXT – Titus 1:15-16
- Paul is finishing up talking about the false teachers we have called contradictors.
- 15 – All things are pure to the pure, but to the impure nothing is pure. Luke 6:45, Matthew 15:18-19
- 16 – False teachers claim to know God, but by their very acts they deny Him.
LESSONS FOR OLDER MEN – Vss. 1-2
- 1 – Why is good doctrine not enough?
- The things that are becoming to good doctrine involve good behavior. Not only are Christians to believe correctly, but they are to live correctly. Good behavior compliments good doctrine.
- Paul takes time to share the lessons that each key group within in the church needs to learn.
- 2 – Paul begins with what the older men need to be encouraged to do. Why do you think he starts with them?
- First, they are to be “sober minded”. This came to mean being sober in one’s thinking. A sober minded person thinks before he acts. Why is that important?
- Grave = “Worthy of respect”. This is someone who shows serious progress in the Christian life.
- Temperate = self control. Fleshly appetites are to be under control. Proverbs 25:28
- The aged men are also to be “sound” or healthy:
- Sound in the faith – the whole body of truth
- Sound in the love – John 13:34-35
- Sound in the patience – James 5:7-8
LESSONS FOR OLDER WOMEN – Vs. 3
- An aged Godly saint is a blessing whether male or female.
- An aged Godly woman has four qualities mentioned here.
- “Behavior as becometh holiness” – This is respect for the things of God, or reverence. She worships and serves God in a reverent way.
- “Not false accusers” – Slander is not to be part of the older woman’s life. She is not to spread critical evaluations of others. Why is this dangerous?
- “Not given to wine” – Alcohol consumption was to be limited.
- “Teachers of good things” – What mission field has God given to older women? Have you ever been impacted by such a woman?
LESSONS FOR YOUNGER WOMEN – Vss. 4-5
- “To love their husbands” – Why do young women sometimes need to be reminded to love their husbands?
- “To love their children” – In what situations might a woman need to be reminded to love her children?
- “Discreet” = sober minded
- “Purity” – In what ways does a woman need to be pure? Why is that hard sometimes?
- “Keepers at home” – Does this mean that a woman should never work outside of the home? What part should a career have in a woman’s life?
- “Good” = kind
- “Obedient to their own husbands” – How obedient should a wife be to her husband? Ephesians 5:22-25
LESSONS FOR YOUNGER MEN – Vs. 6
- 6 – The young men were to be “sober minded” or “sensible”. They were to think clearly and be under control. Why is this command a challenge to a young man?
LESSONS FOR PASTORS – Vss. 7-8
- 7 – Titus, who was a pastor, needed to model good works. Why does a pastor need to be an especially good role model?
- “Doctrine” – Why is doctrine often ignored in the church? Why is correct doctrine important?
- What is “uncorrupt” doctrine?
- When a person is “grave” he is dignified. How should a pastor show dignity?
- 8 – How would you describe “sound speech”?
- According to this verse, what are the benefits of sound speech and good behavior?
LESSONS FOR EMPLOYEES – Vss. 9-10
- 9 – I believe the closest thing we have to servants today is employees.
- Why is our behavior as employees important?
- How do we go about treating employers well?
- Why are we tempted to talk back to some employers and how does that hurt the cause of Christ?
- 10 – “purloining = embezzlement” – Why is stealing from an employer tempting to some?
- “Good fidelity” refers to faithfulness. When we are faithful we “adorn”, or make the doctrine of God look attractive. Why?