Psalm 19 – THE PRESENCE OF GOD
(A Complete Bible Study)
· How can you tell when God is present?
· At what times do you feel God’s presence the most?
· What is remarkable about the presence of God?
· How is the presence of God unsettling, challenging, and comforting?
This Psalm reminds us that God is present. This presence should encourage us towards Godly living in 2006.
GOD IS HERE! – Vss. 1-6
His presence is seen in nature.
· Vs. 1 – God declares His presence to everyone through nature. In the beauty of the sun, moon, stars, and even the weather, God is saying, “I am here.”
Romans 1:20 – For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
· Vs. 2 – God declares His presence every day and every night. His creation never ceases to declare God’s presence.
· Vs. 3 – The skies proclaim His presence to every nation on earth. God speaks of His existence everywhere.
· Vs 4 – The line is a measuring line. The line represents that territory that it measures. The territory that declares God’s presence in nature is world wide.
· Vs. 4 – The Heavens are the dwelling place of the sun.
· Vs. 5 – A bridegroom has happy energy and a strong man enjoys running a race. The sun shows happy energy and seemingly enjoys its daily trip across the skies.
· Vs. 6 – Daily the sun makes its trip, and daily the sun shines forth its heat. Think of the sun as showing the faithfulness of God.
· Remember that David’s understanding of astronomy was limited. He probably would have thought of the sun revolving the earth. This however does not diminish the teaching of this Psalm, that God is speaking in the Heavens.
GOD IS HEARD! – Vss. 7-10
He talks to us through His Word.
· What is the difference between God speaking in creation and God speaking through His Word? How is God speaking through His Word even more significant than Him speaking in nature?
· Vs. 7 – How is the Word of God perfect? What part does the Word play in the conversion of the soul?
Hebrews 4:12 – For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
1 Peter 1:23 – Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
· Vs. 7 – Do you know any “simple people” made wise by the Word of God?
· It is a comfort to know that we can be wise even if we are not the brightest bulb in the light fixture!
· Vs. 8 – How does the accuracy of the Scriptures rejoice the heart?
· Vs. 8 – How does the pureness of the Word allow us to see clearly?
· Vs. 9 – It is the Word of God that causes me to fear the Lord. When I truly fear God, I will allow Him to cleanse me. When I am cleansed I have the assurance of living forever.
· God’s judgments are true and righteous. How does that help us?
· Vs. 10 – Why is God’s Word more desirable than gold?
· Vs. 10 – How is God’s Word sweeter than honey?
GOD IS HONORED! – Vss. 11-14
We honor God’s presence by:
1. Heeding His Word – Vs. 11
· How has God’s Word ever warned you?
· What rewards are there for keeping God’s Word?
2. Examining our lives for sin – Vss. 12-13
· Vs. 12 – We think of “secret sins” as being those not known by others. But this verse introduces us to sins that are secret to us. Why is it easy to have such sins?
· Why was David wise to ask for cleansing of secret sins?
· Vs. 13 – How are presumptuous sins different from secret sins?
· When presumptuous sins are dealt with, we will then be innocent of much (great) transgression.
3. Making our words and thoughts pleasing to Him. – Vs. 14
· What is the connection between the meditation of our hearts and the words of our mouth?
· Why does this verse need to be our constant prayer?
· What should be the most important thing in the world to the Christian?