THE MEN OF CHRISTMAS
There are several men who are very much a part of the Christmas story in the Gospel of Matthew. From some of them we learn negative lessons, and from some we learn positive lessons.
JOSEPH – A TRUSTED MAN
Not just any man could be trusted to be the guardian of the Son of God! Notice 3 qualities that make Joseph a trusted man.
1. He was just. Vss. 18-19
2. He was compassionate. Vs. 19 – Not willing to publicly expose what he thought was Mary’s sin, he would privately divorce her.
3. He was obedient. Matthew 1:20-25, 2:13-15, 2:19-23
HEROD – A TREACHEROUS MAN
Herod wanted the wise men to find the Christ Child, and report back to him. He said he wanted to worship Him, but he wanted to kill Him.
Notice his act towards the children of Bethlehem. 2:1-8, 16-18
THE PEOPLE OF JERUSALEM – TROUBLED MEN
When Herod was troubled, the whole city of Jerusalem was troubled too. Probably this was because when Herod was troubled, he troubled others. But being troubled would also be an indication of unbelief.
Where was the joy that Israel’s Messiah was born? Matthew 2:1-3
When there is unbelief, there is trouble! Hebrews 11:6
THE WISE MEN – THOUGHTFUL MEN
1. Thoughtful to visit. Matthew 2:1-2
2. Thoughtful to worship. Matthew 2:11
3. Thoughtful to share. Matthew 2:11
4. Thoughtful to obey. Matthew 2:12