Revelation 8-9 – THE SOUND OF TRUMPETS
THE BACK OF THE BOOK #9 (REVELATION)
The Earth has had its share of trouble over the years. Here are just a few reminders:
- Trouble with War – World Wars I & II
- Trouble with Economy – Great Depression
- Trouble with Illness – Bubonic Plague
- Trouble with Bias – Persecution of the Jews down through the centuries
- Trouble with Natural Disaster – Earthquakes, Floods, Hurricanes, Volcanoes, etc. etc.
Mark 13:19-20 – For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be. And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect’s sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
The troubles the world has already faced pale in comparison with the trouble that the world will face as God pours out his judgment during the second half of the Tribulation. Jesus warns us of the severity of the judgment in the passage above. God shortened it for the sake of believers.
In Chapter 7 we saw that “God Cares for His Own”. The 144,000 were sealed and the Tribulation saints (martyrs) were cared for in Heaven.
In Revelation 8-9 we see the seventh seal opened and out of it come 7 trumpet judgments. These judgments are upon the earth and mankind. They will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.
PRELUDE TO JUDGMENT – 8:1-6
- 1 – There is a brief silence in Heaven when the seventh seal was broken. It is the “calm before the storm”, a dramatic pause before the terrible events that are to take place.
- 2 – Seven angels are given seven trumpets in preparation.
- 3-4 – Another angel appears. He mixes incense with the prayers of the saints which go up before God.
- 5-6 – Then, perhaps in response to the prayers of the saints, the censer is filled with fire from the altar and cast on earth showing that God was about to judge the earth. The angels prepared to blow their trumpets.
TRUMPET #1 – TROUBLE FROM THE SKY – 8:7
- Remember, this is a supernatural display of God’s power. God can very easily send, fire, blood, and hail all at the same time.
- The devastation will be awesome. 1/3 of the trees will be destroyed and all grass. The grass, however, will grow back. Revelation 9:4
TRUMPET #2 – TROUBLE IN THE SEA – 8:8-9
- It is probably a giant meteorite that lands in the sea with devastating results. 1/3 of the sea became blood. 1/3 of the sea creatures were destroyed. 1/3 of the ships were destroyed.
TRUMPET #3 – TROUBLE IN FRESH WATER – 8:10-11
- 10 – Another body lands from Heaven, but instead of remaining intact breaks up and is dispersed. It affects the fresh water supply.
- 11 – Wormwood was a shrub whose leaves were bitter. This is called wormwood because of the bitterness it puts in the water. In fact, the water will become toxic and many will die after drinking it.
TRUMPET #4 – TROUBLE IN THE HEAVENS – 8:12-13
- 12 – God allows a reduction in light from the sun, moon, and stars. Imagine how much of normal life will be affected with the loss of 1/3 of the sun’s heating power!
- 13 – Other translations say that it is an eagle, not an angel, that flies through the sky proclaiming 3 woes. Whether it is an angel or eagle doesn’t matter. It is a warning that the next three trumpet judgments are going to be even worse.
TRUMPET #5 – TROUBLE OUT OF THE ABYSS – 9:1-11
- 1 – The “Bottomless Pit” or “Abyss” is a place where demons are imprisoned. Luke 8:31
- The star who fell from Heaven was probably Satan. There will be war in Heaven and he will be kicked out from any influence he will have there as “accuser of the brethren”. Revelation 12:7-10
- 2 – Satan will be given the key to the Bottomless Pit and will open it.
- 3 – As smoke comes out of this pit, so do demons that will resemble locusts. They will have the destructive power associated with scorpions.
- 4 – As demons do, they will not attack vegetation like normal locusts, but will attack men. They will not be allowed to hurt those who have the “seal of God”. This will include the 144,000 and perhaps all believers.
- 5-6 – They will not kill men, but will make men so miserable, they will wish they were dead.
- 7-10 – They are formidable creatures who will only be able to do their harm for 5 months.
- 11 – These demons have a leader. His name in Greek and Hebrew means “destroyer”.
- 12 – The first woe is over.
TRUMPET #6 – TROUBLE OUT OF THE EUPHRATES – 9:13-19
- 13-14 – The sixth angel sounds his trumpet. He is commanded to release four angels who were kept captive by the river Euphrates. Evidently these are demonic beings who were imprisoned.
- 15 – They had a specific time frame in which to work.
- 16 – Their army was 200 million. This is a huge army assigned to destroy 1/3 of the world’s population.
- 17-19 – It was actually the horses that did the killing. It is possible that this is a human army that used modern weapons of warfare. I tend to think that it is a demonic hoard.
THE TROUBLE WITH MEN – 9:20-21
- One would think that this terrible judgment would lead men to repentance, but it won’t.
- 20 – They will continue to worship idols.
- 21 – They will continue in murder, witchcraft, sexual impurity and, thefts.
- It is amazing how hardened men can be!