Hebrews 1:1-3 – THE AWESOME SON
HEBREWS BIBLE STUDY #1
- We often hear the word “awesome” in today’s conversation
- What are some things we hear called awesome?
- What does the word “awesome” mean?
- Consider the dictionary definition of awesome, and you will come to the conclusion that not much of what is called awesome really is!
One person who can live up to the descriptive word “awesome” is the Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ. In Hebrews 1:1-3 we find that He truly is awesome.
WHY STUDY HEBREWS?
- It is an inspired description of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God and our Great High Priest.
- It is a book of warning.
- It is a book of encouragement.
- It is a book about faith.
- It is a book that teaches us the Old Testament as well as the new.
- It is a book that shows us something “better”.
- The author of the Book of Hebrews is unknown.
- In Vs. 1 we are told that God has spoken in the past.
- To whom did God speak?
- In what ways did God speak?
- 2 tells us that God spoke through His Son.
- What is the difference between God speaking through a prophet and through His Son?
- Why does God speaking through His Son carry more weight?
JESUS CHRIST IS HEIR OF ALL THINGS – Hebrews 1:2
- What is an heir?
- How is it possible for God to have an heir, if He isn’t going to die?
- Read Psalm 2:6-9, Philippians 2:8-11, Revelation 2:11-15, 1 Corinthians 15:24-28.
JESUS CHRIST IS CREATOR – Hebrews 1:2
John 1:1-3 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God.  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Colossians 1:16 – For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
- When it says that Jesus made the world, it actually means the “ages”.
- Jesus did not just create the world, but time, energy, space, and matter. The whole universe was made by Him.
- How is this significant to us in relation to living the Christian life?
JESUS CHRIST IS THE BRIGHTNESS OF GOD’S GLORY – Hebrews 1:3
- Christ is the “radiance” of God’s glory.
- How does Jesus radiate the glory of God?
- How is this radiance helpful to us as Christians?
JESUS CHRIST IS THE EXPRESS IMAGE OF GOD’S PERSON – Hebrews 1:3
- He is the “exact representation” of God.
- Jesus was able to say to Philip, “If you’ve seen Me, you’ve seen the Father!” John 14:9
- Colossians 1:15 – Who is the image of the invisible God… – The Greek word for image is the one we get our word icon from.
- John 1:14 – And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
- What is the significance of Christ being the express image of God’s person to us?
JESUS CHRIST HOLDS THE WORLD TOGETHER – Hebrews 1:3 Most of us have seen jugglers. Jugglers can toss several things in the air and keep them under control. Sometimes they will do this while balancing themselves on something, and or twirling something around a body part. Jugglers can be absolutely amazing.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is more amazing than any juggler.
He upholds all things by the word of his power.
Colossians 1:17 – And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
- Does holding all things together include our lives? If so, what does that mean to us?
JESUS CHRIST PURGED OUR SINS – Hebrews 1:3
- When, where, why, and how did Jesus purge our sins?
- Why is this purging of our sins so significant?
JESUS CHRIST SITS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD – Vs. 3
- Right now Jesus sits in a place of honor, authority, and power. He is just waiting until the Father says that it is time to act. Then He will return.
Psalm 110:1 – The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make
thine enemies thy footstool.
- What is Jesus doing at the right hand of God?
Hebrews 4:15-16 – For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 7:24-25 – But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.  Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
1 John 2:1-2 – My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:  And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.