COLOSSIANS 1:1-5 – THAT’S SPECIAL!
CHRIST SUPREME (COLOSSIANS) #1
- It’s nice when someone makes us feel special.
- It’s nicer when we make someone else feel special.
- In your mind think of a time when someone made you feel special.
- In your mind think of a time when you made someone else feel special.
- It’s nice to feel special. It’s nicer when you make someone else feel special. It’s nicest when you know that you and your brothers and sisters in Christ are special in God’s eyes!
We are beginning a new study in the Book of Colossians where the principle theme is the supremacy of Christ, or Christ Supreme!
The church in Colossae, which we’ll learn more about next week, was a good church that was being infiltrated by false teachers and their teaching.
Paul was writing to help correct the false teaching that was going on.
Paul opens his letter by showing the Colossians the things that make them and all other true believers special!
SPECIAL PRIVILEGE – Colossians 1:1
- Paul had the special privilege of being an Apostle.
- Timothy had the privilege of being Paul’s assistant.
- Both of these were privileged because of the will of God.
- As a believer, you are also special, God has a specific place and plan for you. Titus 3:5-8, 1 Corinthians 12:14-18, 27
SPECIAL PEOPLE – Colossians 1:2a
- They were saints (holy or set apart by and to God).
- They were faithful (Believing). Romans 5:1
- They were brothers and sisters (Brethren).
- They were “in Christ”. John 10:27-30
SPECIAL PROVISION – Colossians 1:2b
- Grace – Grace started at salvation and does not end. Every time the Lord gives victory we grow in grace. 1 Peter 3:18
- Peace – Peace with God,
- From “God our Father” Isaiah 26:3-4
- And from the “Lord Jesus Christ” John 14:27
SPECIAL PRAISES – Colossians 3-5
Colossians 1:3 Giving of thanks was made to the “God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” for:
- Their Faith – Colossians 1:4
- Their Love – Colossians 1:4
- Their Hope – Colossians 1:5, Titus 2:11-15, 1 John 3:2-3