MATTHEW 26:36-75 – STOPS ALONG THE WAY
This is a Bible Study.
Jesus was on His way to the Cross. Here are two “stops” or visits He made on His way there.
STOP AT GETHSEMANE – Matthew 26:36-55
- Surrender – Matthew 26:36-46, Luke 22:40-46
- 37-38 – What was causing Jesus’ sorrow? Have friends ever stood by you in a time of extreme sorrow?
- 39 – What does Jesus’ attitude teach us?
- 40-41 – Why was Peter singled out? Why is watching and praying important when we and our friends are going through trials?
- How confident was Jesus after his time of prayer?
- Betrayal – Matthew 26:47-56, Luke 22:47-51, John 18:10-11
- Why can we be brave like Peter in one minute and cowardly like Peter the next?
- What do we learn here about the identity of Jesus and the authority of Scripture?
- Abandonment – Matthew 26:56, John 18:4-9
- Why was Jesus protecting His disciples?
- In what ways could we abandon Jesus?
STOP WITH CAIAPHAS – Matthew 26:57-75
- Accusations – Matthew 26:57-61, Mark 14:55-59
- Finding reliable false witnesses was impossible. What does this say to you?
- Confession – Matthew 26:62-64
- Why was it important that Jesus be required to make this declaration of His identity?
- Condemnation – Matthew 26:65-68
- What evidence was the Sanhedrin ignoring when they accused Jesus of blasphemy?
- Jesus suffered abuse at the hands of the Sanhedrin and their officers. In what ways can we abuse Jesus?
- Denial – Matthew 26:69-75
- How can we deny that we know Jesus today? Is there hope for us?