HEBREWS 2:1-4 – SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
HEBREWS STUDY #3
(Of course, these lessons may be used in a series.)
- What is the value of taking time to think?
- What are some of the things that all people should take time to think about?
- What events in your lifetime have made people stop and think?
- What are some things that Christians should periodically stop and think about?
- How do we know that God wants us to think?
- How do we know when God wants us to think?
In Hebrews 2:1-4, we are given something to think about. It is an outgrowth of what has been said in chapter 1.
POINTED CHALLENGE – Hebrews 2:1
- The “therefore” points us back to chapter 1 where we are reminded that Christ is the awesome son and the superior son.
- The words, “give more earnest heed” mean to “pay attention”.
- The words “let them slip” mean “drift away”?
- What are some things that Christians stop paying attention to?
- What are some things that you have seen Christians “drift away” from?
- Is this drifting a gradual or a sudden thing?
PROMISED RETRIBUTION – Hebrews 12:2
- In some way the angels were involved with the giving of the Law on Mt. Sinai. They were involved with the giving of the Ten Commandments and other laws.
Galatians 3:19 – Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of
transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and
it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Acts 7:53 – Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have
not kept it.
- According to Hebrews 2:2 this word communicated through angels was steadfast. The word was final! It stood as the law!
- What were some of the punishments that were given for violating Old Testament Law?
- How exacting was judgment on disobedience?
PIERCING QUESTION – Hebrews 12:3
- What neglect have you seen that troubles or angers you?
- Why is a Christian’s neglect more serious than any other kind of neglect?
- What are some of the ways Christians show neglect?
- Make a mental note of any Christian neglect in your own life. What are you going to do about it?
- How is salvation “great”?
- How does a Christian receive retribution for his sins in this life? Hebrews 12:5-6
- How does a Christian receive retribution for his sins in the next life? 1 Corinthians 5:10
POWERFUL WITNESSES – Hebrews 12:3-4
- There are three witnesses to our great salvation mentioned here.
- How was salvation spoken of by the Lord?
- How did the apostles confirm what the Lord had said?
- Of what significance were the acts of God mentioned in verse 4?
- What witness of your salvation have you received? Romans 8:14-17