ACTS 2:36-47 – PENTECOST EXTENDED – 1
TOGETHER WE ARE HIS CHURCH
According to a Bing search, here are some fads that have been popular over the last 50 years.
Some of the most popular ones include:
- Pet rocks (1975)
- Rubik’s cube (1980)
- Cabbage Patch Kids (1983)
- Pac-Man (1980)
- Beanie Babies (1993)
- Furbies (1998)
- Pokemon (1998)
Fads come and fads go. Things are popular for awhile and then interest in them fades away.
What happened on the Day of Pentecost was not a fad!
- Acts 2:1-13 – The believers were baptized by and filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Acts 2:14-36 – Pentecost was explained and the Gospel was preached.
- Acts 2:37 – Pentecost was extended. The work of the Holy Spirit was not a fad! It did not fade! It continued and does to this day!
- Let’s see what happened!
CONVERSION – Acts 2:36-41
- 36 – The Gospel, as it applies to Israel (Acts 2:22-35), had been preached. Peter made specific application to Israel’s rejection of Christ.
- 37– Conviction comes through the work of the Holy Spirit. John 16:7-11
- 38 – They were to repent, turn around in their attitude towards Jesus, and believe on Him as “Lord and Christ”.
- The word “for” can also mean “because of”. Because they had believed, they were to make public testimony.
- At the moment of belief, a person receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:13). The Holy Spirit takes up permanent residence in the believer. Ephesians 1:13-14
- 39-40 – Peter assured them that the promise was for them, their children, and all who would call on the name of the Lord.
- 41 – Those who gladly received the Gospel indicated their faith by being baptized. Have you received the Gospel? Have you given your testimony through baptism?
COMMITMENT – Acts 2:42
- “Continued steadfastly” or “They devoted themselves”. The Holy Spirit brought about a change that motivated them to be thoroughly committed to four things.
- The teaching of the word.
- Fellowship, “having in common” – a mutual love and sharing among believers. When you see the term “one another” in the New Testament (“Love one another”, “forgiving one another”, “praying for one another”.), you are seeing fellowship in action!
- “Breaking of Bread” – The Lord’s Table
- “Prayer” – To be a good team prayer, you must be a good private prayer. Colossians 4:2 (CSB) – Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving.
COMMUNITY – Acts 2:43-47a
- 43 – The Holy Spirit worked in their midst. Believers and non-believers alike were in “awe” of what God was doing!
- May there be a sense of awe among us and those who see us, as God’s Holy Spirit works in answered prayer, growth in us believers, and conversion of sinners.
- 44-45 – All believers were together. They hung out!
- They shared so nobody was in need. This was voluntary. This was out of love the Lord Jesus and love for the believers.
- 46 – They were committed to worship and the Word. They were committed to getting together for meals and did it with joy and gladness. There was “simplicity of heart”. Their hearts were simply sincere. They just loved the Lord and His people.
- 47a – They were praising God. This should be us, together and individually!
CONVERSION – Acts 2:47b
- They were a good testimony.
- People were being saved.
What began with conversion continued with more conversions. Believers should reproduce!