ACTS 2:14-36 – PENTECOST EXPLAINED
Jim Lovell – “There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened…” Top 15 Astronaut Jim Lovell Quotes (APOLLO 13) (graciousquotes.com)
On the Birthday of the Church, the assembled believers in Jerusalem were baptized by and filled with the Holy Spirit.
Today, each person who places their faith in Christ is immediately baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body.
1 Corinthians 12:13 – For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
There is one Baptism, but many fillings. We are instructed to be filled with the Spirit. The greatest evidence of the Holy Spirits filling is the fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23
The evidence of the Holy Spirit presence was the speaking in tongues, or other languages. Acts 2:5-11
Acts 2:11-12 – Some were amazed and perplexed, asking “What happened?” Others scoffed, accusing the Apostles of being drunk with new wine.
On the Day of Pentecost Peter, who once denied his Lord, speaks out in the power of the Holy Spirit. He explains Pentecost and answers the question, “What Happened?”
As Christ-followers, it is important that we know what happened, and the message that Pentecost brings to those around us.
Peter’s message may be summarized in this way:
THE PROPHECY OF JOEL – Vss. 14-21
- 14-15 – They were not drunk.
- 16 – Prophecy was being fulfilled before their eyes!
- 17 – Peter is totally Biblical, quoting Joel 2:28-32.
- We are in the “last days”. Hebrews 1:1-2
- It is the time that Messiah would come and set up His Kingdom. 2 comings at beginning and end of the days.
- 17-20 – The Spirit was poured out then, a greater fulfillment later. It was a witness to unbelievers. 1 Corinthians 14:21-22
- 21 – This still true! Anyone can be saved by faith!
THE PASSION AND POWER OF JESUS – Vss. 22-24
- 22 – Jesus came in God’s power, working miracles.
- 23 – God planned ahead (Isaiah 53). Foreknowledge, in the New Testament, indicates that it was foreordained.
- Those who crucified Jesus did it at their own volition.
- 24 – The Resurrection was also foreordained.
- Without these, there would be no salvation.
THE PREDICTION OF DAVID – Vss. 25-31
- 25-28 – Psalm 16:8-11 –This speaks of Jesus.
- 29-31 – Promise of 2 Samuel 7:12-13 being fulfilled.
THE PREEMINENCE OF JESUS – Vss. 32-36
- 32 – The Apostles were witnesses of the resurrection.
- 33 – The pouring out of the Holy Spirit was a witness to the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah.
- 34-35 – Could not be true of David, but he predicted it of Jesus. Psalm 110:1
- 36 – Israel crucified their Lord and Christ!
- Those who reject Jesus today reject their Savior and Lord.