MATTHEW 27:32-66 – MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
THIS IS A BIBLE STUDY, BUT YOU COULD USE THE OUTLINE TO PREPARE A SERMON.
Christ’s work for the redemption of lost sinners was accomplished at Calvary.
ACCOMPLISHED BY THE FINAL JOURNEY – Matthew 27:32-33, Luke 23:26-31, Mark 15:21
- Jesus began by carrying his own cross (John 19:17) but was too weak to continue. Based on Mark 15:21, what can we surmise about Simon?
ACCOMPLISHED BY CRUCIFIXION – Matthew 27:34-38, John 19:19-22
- Why did Jesus refuse the sour wine that He was offered?
- Why do you think Pilate insisted on writing the accusation against Jesus the way he did?
ACCOMPLISHED WITH VERBAL ABUSE – Matthew 27:39-44, Luke 23:39-43
- In spite of the vengeful verbal abuse Jesus received, there was a bright moment.
What was it, and what does it teach us?
ACCOMPLISHED WITH SEPARATION FROM GOD, THE FATHER – Matthew 27:45-49
- How did this darkest moment in Jesus’ life become the brightest moment in Jesus’ life?
ACCOMPLISHED IN VICTORY – Matthew 27:50-54, Luke 23:44-46, John 19:28-30
- The Proclamation of Victory – John 19:30
- The Prayer of Victory – Luke 23:46
- The Power of Victory – Matthew 27:50-53
- The Torn Veil – Vs. 51
- The Earthquake – Vs. 52
- The Resurrected Saints – Vs. 53
- The Persuasion of Victory – Vs. 54 – The first converts after Jesus’ death.
ACCOMPLISHED WITH SUPPORTIVE FRIENDS – Matthew 27:55-61, John 19:38-42
- The ladies who were at the cross and at the tomb were loyal. Why is loyalty important?
- In spite of Joseph being a “secret disciple”, what can be said in praise of him and Nicodemus?
ACCOMPLISHED WITH PROTECTIVE MEASURES – Matthew 27:62-66
- Why were the Jewish authorities so adamant about having the tomb secured and guarded?