MEET (INTRODUCING) SOME OF MY FRIENDS – PART 2
NOTES FROM PASTOR JACK:
- Warning! To teach these two lessons in a way that will bless others will require you to pray and work hard! If you are looking for an easy lesson to teach, better find something else! Also, you may expand these lessons into a series of 3 or more, if you choose.
- This is an overview or introduction to the writings of the New Testament from Acts through Revelation. My “friends” are those whom God used to write these Books of the Bible. I am not thorough; you will probably want to do some of your own Scriptures and ideas.
- Thank you for allowing me to share Sermon Seeds with you. Like you (I pray) I am only “a sinner saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9)”
- Last time we met together, I explained that my (Bible) friends are those who have shared with me the Word of God. I told you about my friends, David, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
- This time I will again share about the writings of my friends. I must be less specific because we have so much to consider and some of my friends wrote several books in the New Testament.
- You will notice that some of my “friends” are the same friends we met last time. Luke and John wrote more than their Gospels.
LUKE IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME ABOUT THE BIRTH AND MULTIPLICATION OF MY LORD JESUS’ CHURCH.
- Our Risen Lord gives His Final Instructions to His disciples and then ascends into Heaven. Acts 1:1-12
- Some needed decisions were prayerfully made by those waiting for the baptism and indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:13-26
- The Birth and early expansion of the church are shown in Acts 2-12. This includes the martyrdom of Stephen, the forced scattering of the church for the purpose of evangelism, the conversion of Paul, and other events. Acts 2, Acts 6-7, Acts 8:1-4, Acts 19-30 etc.
PAUL IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME THE REASONS FOR AND APPLICATION OF GOD’S PLAN OF REDEMPTION THROUGH THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- In Romans Paul teaches me the most complete body of truth about God’s plan of redemption.
- In First and Second Corinthians Paul teaches me how to resolve everyday doctrinal, interpersonal, and Spiritual conflicts in our Lord Jesus Christ’s Church.
- In Galatians Paul teaches me the importance of Justification by Faith in Christ alone and the danger of teaching that works are necessary for salvation.
- In Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon (The Prison Epistles) Paul teaches me ways to live out my faith in my local church and before the unsaved people around me.
- In First and Second Thessalonians Paul teaches me the imminent return of Christ and how to live until He returns for His Bride, the church.
- In First and Second Timothy and Titus (The Pastoral Epistles) Paul teaches me how our local church should be organized and led.
- PAUL IS INDEED MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ABOUT MY LORD JESUS CHRIST AND HOW TO SERVE HIM WELL!
Note from Pastor Jack: I did not itemize any Scriptures in this section. Add the ones you are led to add!
THE AUTHOR OF HEBREWS IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME ABOUT THE ROLE OF JESUS AS MY GREAT HIGH PRIEST.
- Hebrews is a deep book, and sometimes hard to comprehend.
- The author of this Book is teaching me to persevere and look to my Lord Jesus Christ, my great High Priest for access into the presence of my Heavenly Father through him. Hebrews 1, Hebrews 7, Hebrews 12:18-29, etc.
- Also, the author of this Book is teaching importance of faith for salvation and everything I do. Hebrews 3;18-19, Hebrews 11, etc.
JAMES IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME HOW TO SENSIBLY LIVE A LIFE THAT PLEASES MY LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- James reminds me that while justification by faith is essential, works after salvation is also essential. James 2:14-26
- James also reminds of the importance of perseverance, prayer, and obedience during trials. James 1, James 5: James 5:7-18.
- And James reminds me of the danger of the tongue, pride, and slander. James 3-4, James 5:13-18, etc.
PETER IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES A STEADFAST COMMITMENT TO CHRIST.
- My friend, Peter (The Rock), modeled for me the up and down faith that I tend to have. He even denied Christ 3 times. But he received forgives and promised that our Lord Jesus still had a plan for His life. There’s hope for me when I fail. Luke 22:54-62, John 21:15-22
- A Holy Spirit controlled Peter went on to speak and stand boldly for Christ in his two Epistles. He teaches me to have a steadfast Commitment to Christ. 1 Peter 1:13-24, 1 Peter 2:11-25, 1 Peter 5:5-11, 2 Peter 1:3-11, 2 Peter 3, etc.
- Peter is also my because he teaches me how to live a Godly lifestyle in an ungodly world. 1 Peter 3-4, 2 Peter 3:11-17, etc.
JOHN IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME THE LOVE OF CHRIST AND THE IMPORTANCE OF PRACTICING MY FAITH IN HIM.
- John reminds me of the reality of whom Christ is and the importance of demonstrating or testing the reality of my faith. 1 John 1:1-2:17, 1 John 3:4-24 etc.
- John teaches me about the love my Lord Jesus Christ has for me, and that I love him in return by loving my fellow believers. 1 John 3:1-2, 1 John 4, 2 John,
- John also assures me that I have all that I need to identify false teachers and oppose them. 1 John 2:18-29, 1 John 5:1-5 etc., 3 John
JUDE IS MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME HOW TO PERSEVERE FOR MY LORD JESUS WHEN TIMES ARE TOUGH.
- My friend Jude tells me why to persevere for my Lord Jesus Christ (Jude 1:1-15) and how to persevere. Jude 1:16-25
JOHN IS ALSO MY FRIEND BECAUSE HE TEACHES ME HOW MY LORD JESUS CHRIST WILL COMPETE GOD’S ETERNAL PLAN.
I will let the Lord show you to approach the Book of Revelation, assuring others that in the end, “We Win!” Revelation 21-22
ALL OF THESE DEAR BROTHERS ARE MY FRIENDS BECAUSE THEY TELL ME ABOUT MY BEST FRIEND, MY LORD JESUS CHRIST, WHO, AS GOD DIED FOR ME, ROSE AGAIN AND OFFERED ME THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE WHICH I ACCEPTED BY FAITH. EPHESIANS 2:8-9 TO HIM BE THE GLORY!