REVELATION 2:1-7 – KEEP THE LIGHT ON!
There is a little Gospel song, “This Little Light of Mine, I’m Going to Let it Shine!” (Search the internet for lyrics.) This song has a great message for children and adults alike. We are to be resolved to shine for Jesus as Christians. We need to keep the light of our testimony shinning brightly for Him.
In Revelation 2-3 the Lord Jesus is speaking to seven churches in Asia and as Head of the Church, He is giving an evaluation of each church. I believe these seven churches represent types of churches and their members that have existed throughout church history.
The first church mentioned, the Church, in Ephesus was a good church with a fatal flaw. As a result, they were in danger of the light of their corporate and personal testimonies going out!
COMMUNICATOR – Revelation 2:1
- The angel was a messenger, probably the senior Pastor of the Church. He is referred to as one of seven “stars” in Revelation 1:27
- The lampstand refers to the church itself.
- We are told that the messengers are being held onto by the Lord Himself. That should be both a humbling, daunting and encouraging thought to any pastor.
- Jesus walks in the midst of all the churches. He knows whats going on and is present at all times. He knows you and what you are doing. “Lo, I am with you always…”
CRITIQUE – Revelation 2:2-4, 6
COMMENDATION – Vss. 2-3, 6
- 2-3, 6 – This was a church that worked hard, persevered, was faithful in doctrine, and could not tolerate false teaching.
- This was a church that was doing all the right things, made up of pastors and people who did all the right things.
- Criticism – Vs. 4
- They were still going through the motions, but they abondoned their “first love” for the Lord Jesus.
- There was no fervency. There was no passion.
- They were guilty of Spiritual adultery. James 4:4, Ezekiel 16:30, 32, 1 John 2:15-19
- I see myself as guilty!
COUNSEL – Revelation 2:5
- Remember – What was it like when you were most passionate about your Savior?
- What were your priorities?
- Were you joyful?
- Were you devouring the Word?
- Were you faithful in attendance?
- Were you sharing your faith?
- Or have you never truly been born-again?
- Repent – James 4:6-10, 2 Corinthians 7:10
- Repeat – All motivated by love for our Lord Jesus Christ. Three Things to Repeat are:
- Worship – Motivated by love and joy.
- Praise and Thanksgiving – Philippians 4:4, Hebrews 13:15
- Prayer – Ephesians 6:18, Luke 11:9-13
- Word – Psalm 119:97, Jeremiah 15:16, Colossians 3:16 (Memorize, Meditate, Read, Listen to preaching and teaching.)
- Witness – 1 Peter 3:15, Matthew 28:18-20
- (Or) Removal! – Your personal light of witness and the church’s light will go out.
COMFORT – Revelation 2:7
1 John 5:4-5 – For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?