Joshua 8:1-29 – AFTER FORGIVENESS
#9 – MOVING FORWARD – THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
- There have been times in our lives when we have slidden back into “major” sin. We repented, and God forgave us. 2 Corinthians 7:10, 1 John 1:8-10, Psalm 32:5
- How will Satan try to deceive and defeat us after a major sin in our lives?
- What happened at Ai after a great victory at Jericho? Joshua 7
- How was the major defeat handled?
- In Judges 8:1-29, Israel learns that there is life and hope after forgiveness. They could not change what happened, but they could move forward. The same is true for us.
AFTER FORGIVENESS THERE IS CONFIDENCE Vs. 1
- After the defeat at Ai, Israel’s confidence was shaken. Joshua 7:5-9
- 1 – Joshua is told to fear not, neither to be afraid. God wanted Joshua to go forward and be confident. Joshua is being reassured of what he had been told previously. Joshua 1:2-6
- As Christians, when we are in right fellowship with God, we can be confident. 2 Corinthians 5:6-8, Philippians 1:6, 4:13, 1 John 3:21-22, 5:14-15
AFTER FORGIVENESS THERE IS SERVICE Vss. 1-2
- God now says to Joshua, “Arise, go to Ai.”
- They failed the first time, but after repenting, they were not disqualified from service.
- When we fail God and repent, there is always something we can do in service to our Lord. Matthew 5:15-17, Ephesians 2:8
- Are there certain jobs in serving the Lord that we may be disqualified from for a period of time, or even permanently?
AFTER FORGIVENESS THERE IS GUIDANCE VSS. 1-2
- The first time Israel went to Ai, it was without the guidance of God. This time God would give the instructions. When Israel succeeded, it was because God was instructing her.
- It is important for you and I to know exactly what God wants us to be doing. He makes His will very knowable. Psalm 32:8, Ephesians 5:15-17, Psalm 1:1-3
AFTER FORGIVENESS THERE IS OBEDIENCE Vss. 3-19
- Notice that Joshua and the children of Israel were back to doing what they knew how to do so well when they wanted to – OBEYING GOD!
- 3-13 – There were three units of soldiers mentioned here, the ambush unit of 30,000 men, the main army, and another unit of 5,000 men stationed between Bethel and Ai.
- 14-18 – The plan was done in obedience and worked. Our best days are obedient days.
AFTER FORGIVENESS THERE IS VICTORY Vss. 20-29
- After Israel’s miserable defeat, there was a tremendous victory at Ai
- It began with confession and forsaking of sin.
- There was a restoration of confidence, service, guidance, and obedience. We can experience the same.