Joshua 6:1-27 – ACCOMPLISHING THE IMPOSSIBLE!
#7 – MOVING FORWARD – THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
- What impossible things have you seen God do?
- Why do you think God likes to do the impossible?
- What does God require from us if we want Him to do the impossible?
- When we face impossible situations, we must remember that the most important thing of all is that God’s will be done! Matthew 6:10, Luke 22:39-42
Joshua and Israel had entered the Promised Land at God’s command. God’s plan was for them to have victory over the enemy. There are some principles in this chapter that will help accomplish the impossible through us.
CONSIDER IT DONE – Vss. 1-2
- Jericho was a formidable city which had shut its doors to Israel.
- Jericho looked like an impossible enemy, but God said to Joshua, “I have given unto thine hand Jericho”.
- When God makes a promise, He keeps it. Some of the promises that we can consider done are Luke 1:37, Philippians 1:6, Philippians 4:13, Philippians 4:19, and 1 John 5:4.
CIRCLE IT WITH OBEDIENCE AND PRAYER – Vss. 3-14
- Here were some unusual orders. This was a test of Joshua’s faith.
- Humanly speaking, what God asked Joshua to do did not make sense.
- Joshua and the people were to circle the city once a day for six days. On the seventh day they were to circle the city seven times.
- This reminds me that God wants us to circle our problems with prayer! Before we do anything else, problems should be prayed about. 1 John 5:14-15, James 1:5-8, Jeremiah 33:3, Mark 11:22-24, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Luke 18:1
- Remember, all the prayer in the world will not negate the effects of unbelief and disobedience, unless it is a prayer of confession. 1 Samuel 15:22-23, Hebrews 3:18-19
CLAIM IT BY FAITH – Vss. 15-16
- After the children of Israel had circled Jericho 13 times, the Israelites were told to shout because the Lord had given them the city. They were to claim the victory by taking action!
- I see the shout as the final claim to a conquered Jericho. I see the shout as an outward expression of an inward confidence.
- As we pray the Lord may ask us to give a “shout” by taking some sort of action.
CONCLUSION – Vss. 17-27
- God conquered Jericho! Vss. 17-21
- Promises were kept. Vss. 22-25
- A curse was pronounced. Vs. 26, 1 Kings 16:34
- Joshua was honored. Vs. 27