Joshua 4:19-5:15 – IN THE LAND
#6 – MOVING FORWARD – THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
- Forty years after leaving Egypt the Children of Israel were finally in the Promised Land!
- How do we know that the Land of Canaan does not represent Heaven?
- For the Christian, the Land of Canaan teaches about victorious Christian living.
PROCLAMATION – JOSHUA 4:19-24
- Two memorials of twelve stones were set up. One was in the middle of the Jordan River (Verse 9). What might that signify or proclaim?
- 21-23 – The stones at placed at Gilgal were there to proclaim what had happened at the Jordan. Note that fathers were to be ready to instruct their children. Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- 24 – Not only were the stones a proclamation to the Israelites, but to the whole world. As Christians are to proclaim the greatness of our God, especially concerning salvation, Israel was responsible to be a testimony to other nations.
PROTECTION – JOSHUA 5:1
- Word of Israel’s arrival would have spread quickly in the land of Canaan.
- The way it happened devastated the Canaanites.
PREPARATION – JOSHUA 5:2-10
- Although it appeared that a quick attack would have been militarily wise, God wanted His people to be Spiritually prepared. There was some unfinished business to attend to.
- Circumcision – Vss. 2-9, Genesis 17:9-13, Deuteronomy 10:16, Colossians 2:11-13
- Passover – Vs. 10, Exodus 12:40-49, 1 Corinthians 5:7
PROVISION – JOSHUA 5:11-12
- God provides for His people with a miracle when needed, and by normal means when normal means are available.
PREEMINENCE – JOSHUA 5:13-15
- This is a Christophany, an appearance of the Lord Jesus in the Old Testament.
- How was this helpful to Joshua?