JOSHUA 23:1-16 – A FIRST FAREWELL – LEADER TO LEADERS
#19 – MOVING FORWARD – THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
Joshua had followed Moses as the leader of the Nation of Israel. He was called upon by God to lead Israel into the Promised Land (Joshua 1:1-6). Like other leaders, Biblical and otherwise, Joshua gave farewell addresses. This is the first of two, which was evidently given to the leadership of Israel who would lead after he passed off the scene.
INTRODUCTION: Vss. 1-2
REMINDER OF PAST VICTORIES Vs. 3
- Why is it a good thing to remember past victories?
- What part does giving thanks have in remembering past victories?
REMINDER OF FUTURE CONQUESTS Vss. 4-5
- The job was not done. The enemy still had strongholds and needed to be totally eliminated. Why?
- In our Christian lives after salvation, we also need to be vigilant in eliminating the habits in our lives that are contrary to God’s standards. Hebrews 12:1-4, 2 Peter 1:3-11
REMINDER OF CURRENT RESPONSIBILITIES Vss. 6-12
- Obedience Vs. 6, 1 Peter 1:14-16
Negative Vss. 7,12, 1 John 2:15-17
Positive Vss. 8-10, Zechariah 4:6
- Devotion Vs. 11, Deuteronomy 6:4-9
REMINDER OF GOD’S JUDGMENT Vss. 13-16
- 14 – God had been faithful to bless Israel as Israel was obedient.
- 13, 15-16 – Israel would be judged if Israel was not faithful.
- Often, Christians are disciplined for lack of obedience. However, there is no fear of us losing our salvation if we are truly born again. Hebrews 12:5-11