JOSHUA 22:1-8 – HONORABLE DISCHARGE
#17 – MOVING FORWARD – THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
- What does it mean to receive an honorable discharge? Other than from the military, where is it possible to receive an honorable discharge?
- Joshua 21:43-45 nicely sums up the first 21 chapters of the Book of Joshua.
The fighting was done for now. It was time for Joshua to send the Tribes of Reuben and Gad and half of the Tribe of Manasseh home to the other side of the Jordon. They had promised to fight until the war was over. In Joshua 22:1-8, Joshua gives them their honorable discharge.
THEY WERE REWARDED – Vss. 1-3, 8
- 1-3 – Joshua calls together this group of men and gives them one of the best rewards of all. They received the “well done” pronouncement by their general. What did they do to gain it?
- They had done what Moses and Joshua had told them to do. They were obedient. Joshua 1:12-18
- They had been faithful all the way through for seven years.
- 8 – There were the physical rewards from conquering the land. There was much spoil.
- Jesus will reward His servants with what are known as crowns.
- The Crown of Life – James 1:12, Revelation 2:10
- The Incorruptible Crown – 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
- The Soul Winners’ Crown – 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
- The Crown of Righteousness – 2 Timothy 4:6-8
- The Crown of Glory – 1 Peter 5:1-4
- The rewards were shared with those who were faithful on the home front. Numbers 31:25-27, 1 Samuel 30:21-25
THEY WERE RETURNED – Vss. 4, 6, 7, 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18
THEY WERE REMINDED – Vs. 5
- Take Diligent Heed to the Command and the Law. – 2 Timothy 2:15, Jeremiah 15:16
- Take Diligent Heed to Love the Lord Your God. – Matthew 22:35-39, 1 John 4:19
- Take Diligent Heed to Walk in all His Ways. – 1 John 2:6
- Take Diligent Heed to Keep His Commandments. – 1 Samuel 15:22-23, John 14:15
- Take Heed to Cleave (Cling) to His Commandments (Be Faithful!). – 1 Corinthians 4:2
- Take Diligent Heed to Serve Him with All Your Heart, and All Your Soul. – Colossians 3:17