JOSHUA 11 – PRINCIPLES FOR SPIRITUAL WARFARE
#12 – MOVING FORWARD – THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
- What do you know about Spiritual warfare?
- How does Spiritual warfare parallel literal warfare?
- After conquering the Canaanites in the southern part of the Promised Land, a northern coalition is formed to oppose the Israelites.
- Let’s see some lessons relating to Spiritual warfare based on Joshua’s northern campaign.
EXPECT ATTACKS – Joshua 11:1-5
- 1 – Hazor was the principal city in the north. It was about 8 miles north of the Sea of Galilee. The remains of the city cover about 200 acres.
- 1-4 – The opposition was formidable and larger than what Joshua faced in the south.
- It was only logical for Joshua to expect an attack.
- We are going to face attacks Spiritually. 1 Peter 5:8-9, Ephesians 6:10-13, John 15:18-25
DON’T FEAR – Joshua 11:6
- Once again, Joshua is assured by God that he has nothing to fear in the battle. He is assured of victory.
- We are also assured that we have nothing to fear. Ephesians 6:10-17, Romans 8:31-39
BE OBEDIENT – Joshua 11:7-15
- 7 – Joshua again uses the element of surprise, although no miracles are reported.
- 8 – No one was spared. We should do the same in Spiritual warfare. Colossians 3:5-9
- 11-13 – Hazor, Jericho, and Ai are the only cities Joshua burned. The other cities were reoccupied by Israel. Deuteronomy 6:10-11
- 15 – As Joshua was totally obedient, we should be also. John 14:15, 1 Peter 1:13-16
HANG IN THERE (ENDURE) – Joshua 11:16-20
- 16-18 – The war extended probably for about seven years.
- 19-20 – Notice that the Lord hardened hearts so the enemy, a definite threat to Israel, could be totally destroyed. Spiritual warfare for us will last a lifetime. Philippians 3:12-14
EXPECT VICTORY – Joshua 11:21-23
- 21-22 – The “giants” feared by the spies were mostly destroyed. Numbers 13:33
- 23 – Although there were pockets of resistance, Israel took control of the whole land.
- Although we will face pockets of resistance, let us strive to allow the Lord to have total control of us. Galatians 5:16