Matthew 5:3-8 – IN PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS
- What are some of the things people in general will do to be happy?
- Although people want to be happy, often they are not. Why not?
- How do you know that God wants us to be happy?
- The Sermon on the Mount begins with some verses known as “the Beatitudes”. We often think of the word “blessed” as meaning “happy”. “The Greek word for blessed is makarios, and it is used to describe a person who is especially favored by God and who is therefore in some sense happy or fortunate because of it.” James Montgomery Boice, The Gospel of Matthew, Volume 1, (Grand Rapids Michigan, Baker Books, 2001) p. 74
- True happiness is not based on “happenings” but on the favor of God on our lives.
In Matthew 5:3-8, the Lord Jesus shows us the qualities that lead to true happiness.
SADNESS THAT LEADS TO HAPPINESS
Matthew 5:3-4 – Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
- Is verse 3 commending a bad attitude? I know a lot of “poor-spirited” people!
- Poor in spirit refers to one’s attitude about oneself. He or she understands the spiritual poverty of his own soul.
- How does one need to be poor in Spirit to be saved? Isaiah 64:6, Titus 3:5, Ephesians 2:8-9
- How does being poor in spirit help someone appreciate salvation?
- How does being poor in spirit help us to please God as Christians? 1 Peter 5:5-9
- When and why should a person mourn over sin?
- What does God see as the purpose of mourning? James 4:8-10, Psalm 32:5
SUBMISSION (SOFTNESS?) THAT LEADS TO HAPPINESS
Matthew 5:5 – Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
- How is the word meek often misconstrued?
- A better word for meek is
- In Matthew 11:29 Jesus tells us that He is meek and lowly of heart. How was Jesus gentle?
- Many commentators say that meekness is power under control. How did the Lord Jesus demonstrate that?
- Why must a person be submissive to be meek?
- In what way might a gentle person inherit the earth today?
SANCTIFICATION THAT LEADS TO HAPPINESS
Matthew 5:6, 8 – Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled…. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
- What is sanctification?
- Why should Christians pursue sanctification? 1 Peter 1:15-16
- Think of righteousness as always doing the right thing. How should that make us proactive?
- What keeps my heart from being pure?
- What part does the Holy Spirit have in keeping my heart pure? Galatians 5:22-23
- How does a Christian, who is pure in heart, see God?
SHARING THAT LEADS TO HAPPINESS
Matthew 5:7, 9 – Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
- How can a Christian show mercy every day?
- Why should we be merciful in our judgments of others? Matthew 7:1-2
- What part does forgiveness have to do with mercy?
- Why must a peacemaker have peace himself?
- How does a peacemaker help make peace between God and man?
- How does a peacemaker help make peace between man and man?