Ephesians 1:15-23, 3:16-21, Philippians 1:9-11, Colossians 1:9-14 – HELPING YOUR CHURCH GROW
Most people would like to see their church grow in numbers and Spirituality.
The average person may wonder, “How can I help my church grow.” Very few people feel capable of assisting when it comes to church growth.
In the texts listed above we find the Apostle Paul praying for four prayers for three churches. Each one of these prayers is a prayer for Spiritual development. I am convinced that if we pray for the pastors and people in our own church and other churches, God will answer. As we grow Spiritually we will grow physically.
Please note that Paul gave thanks for each church before making requests for them. Ephesians 1:15-16, Philippians 1:3-8, Colossians 1:3-8.
Also note that some of the requests are repeated for each congregation, but there seems to be a special theme for each prayer. Let us pray for each other as Paul prayed for those he loved in Christ.
PRAY FOR PERCEPTION – Ephesians 1:15-23
We need to pray that other Christians will have a “spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him” (Vs. 17) and that they will grasp:
- “…the hope of His calling…” – Vs. 18
- “…the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints…” – Vs. 18 – Just think! We are His inheritance!
- “…the exceeding greatness of his power…” – Vss. 19-23 – We need to grasp just how much power is available for us in Christ. We will not appropriate the power unless we understand its availability.
PRAY FOR POWER – Ephesians 3:14-21
After praying that Christians perceive the availability of Christ’s power, we need to pray that appropriation of that power would be a reality in their lives.
- Power of the Spirit – Vs. 16
- Power of Christ’s control – Vs. 17a
- Power to love – Vss. 17b-19a
- Power of God’s fullness – Vs. 19b
PRAY FOR PERFORMANCE – Philippians 1:9-11
I see this prayer as a prayer for action!
- Abounding in love – Vs. 9
- Abounding in choice and Godly living – Vs. 10
- Abounding in fruitfulness – Vs. 11
PRAY FOR PERSEVERANCE – Colossians 1:9-14
The Christian life is not a sprint but a marathon. We need to pray that other Christians “hang in there”.
- Knowing His will – Vs. 9
- Walking worthily – Vs. 10a
- Being fruitful – Vs. 10b
- Knowing God – Vs. 10c
- Enduring with patience, longsuffering, joyfulness and thanksgiving – Vss. 11-14
If you like, this message could be broken down into four devotionals delivered four weeks in a row. Used this way, this series would be especially appropriate for Prayer Meeting.