MATTHEW 12:1-8, 38-42 – GREATER!
- When we say, “Jesus is greater or greatest,” what does that mean? Revelation 5:12-13
- Why must we, as Christians, recognize the greatness of Jesus.
In Matthew 12 Jesus makes three statements about His greatness that upset the Pharisees. He was definitely claiming His deity and authority over the world. Let us consider how these statements impact us today.
JESUS IS GREATER THAN ANY CHURCH (THE TEMPLE). – Matthew 12:1-8
- The Pharisees had a problem with plucking grain and eating it on the Sabbath. Vss. 1-2
- Jesus’ first example of its legality – David and the showbread. Vss. 3-4
- Jesus’ second example of its legality – The activity of the priests on the Sabbath. Vs. 5.
- Jesus is greater than the Temple because He is God. Vs. 6, John 1:1
- As God, Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. Vss. 7-8
- There is no denomination or church that is greater than He.
- This means we must be careful of being too narrow-minded in our denominationalism.
JESUS IS GREATER THAN ANY PREACHER OR PROPHET (JONAH). – Matthew 8:38-41
- The evil generation was looking for a sign. The sign they would receive is the sign of Jonah. Vss. 38-39
- Jonah was a great prophet who led a great revival. Jonah 3:1-10
- Jonah was as good as dead in the belly of the great fish (whale) for three days and three nights.
- Jesus is greater than Jonah because of his literal death, burial, and resurrection.
Vss. 40-41, Revelation 1:18
- There is no preacher or prophet greater than the Lord Jesus. No true prophet will lead one contrary to the teachings and deity of Christ.
JESUS IS GREATER ANY THEOLOGIAN OR WISE MAN (SOLOMON). – Matthew 8:42
- God had granted Solomon great wisdom. The Queen of Sheba came to check it out for herself. 2 Chronicles 1:7-12, 9:1-12
- Jesus’ wisdom is greater than that of Solomon because he is God. Colossians 1:15-19
No theologian or wise man is above Jesus. Therefore, let’s be careful that we don’t place the teachings of our teachers above the teachings of Jesus.