FROM AMONG THE DEAD – GENESIS 5:21-24
Scripture Reading – Genesis 5:15-27
Different chapters of the Bible have been labeled.
Love Chapter – 1 Corinthians 13
Creation Chapters – Genesis 1-2
Resurrection Chapter – 1 Corinthians 15
Faith Chapter – Hebrews 11
Death Chapter – Genesis 5
- Of course, our Scripture reading was not one of the cheeriest we’ve read.
- The point is, the one phrase repeated over and over again is, “and he died.”
- Things haven’t changed. On grave markers everywhere there are usually two dates – Birth and Death
- A grim reminder! – Hebrews 9:27 – “It is appointed unto men once to die…”
- Another grim reminder – Romans 6:23 – “For the wages of sin is death…”
- There was great wickedness before the flood.
- There is great wickedness today! – Romans 3:23
- Out of death before the flood, there comes a glimmer of hope! Jude 14-15, Genesis 5:24
- Out of death today there comes a glimmer of hope. John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 5:7
- Enoch walked by faith and didn’t see death. Hebrews 11:5-6
- Like Enoch, we will not see permanent death if we have walked with God. John 11:25-26
Life as a believer which comes out of the dead, must be a faith walk. It’s proof that we are genuinely born again!
TO WALK WITH GOD:
We Start at the Same Point – Genesis 5:21-22, Amos 3:3
- Enoch’s walk began at the birth of his Son.
- Our walk begins with our new birth! John 1:12-13
- Enoch walked with God for three hundred years.
- We are to show our salvation by walking with Him every day. Lamentations 3:22-23, Psalm 5:3, John 15:1-7
We Have the Same (Two-fold) Purpose* – Amos 3:3
- God’s Glory Isaiah 42:8, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, John 14:13-14, 17:1-4, Ephesians 3:20-21, Colossians 3:17
- Christ’s Kingdom Matthew 6:33, Acts 4:18-22, 25-31
We Proceed at the Same Pace – Galatians 5:22-26
- To do this we keep “in step” with the Spirit of God.
We End at the Same Place – Genesis 5:24,
- Enoch’s faith walk ended with God taking him “home”. Hebrews 11:5-6
- Our faith walk will end the same way. Psalm 73:24, Psalms 17:15
* Joseph M. Stowell, Perilous Pursuits (Chicago, Moody Press, 1994) pp 105-107