BROTHERS ARMED FOR BATTLE #3 – THE RIGHT FIT
A MEN’S BIBLE STUDY ON THE CHRISTIAN’S ARMOR (HOWEVER, THIS STUDY IS APPLICABLE FOR ALL, NOT JUST MEN!)
Ephesians 6:14b – …and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
- In what ways are clothes which do not fit a problem?
- What do you do with clothes that do not fit?
- How would you define righteousness?
- Why is righteousness not a good “fit” for most people?
- Why do we need a righteousness that “fits”?
We as brothers in Christ are involved together in a spiritual battle against the world, the flesh and the devil. Praise God for the armor that He has provided for us.
The second piece of armor mentioned is the “breastplate of righteousness”. We are to be clothed with a righteousness that not only helps us live a righteous life daily, but deals with the past and future as well. The Christian has three kinds of righteousness, one of which is “practical righteousness”. This righteousness comes from being armed with the “Breastplate of Righteousness.”
ABOUT THE BREASTPLATE
- “No Roman soldier would go into battle without his breastplate, a tough, sleeveless piece of armor that covered his full torso. It was often made of leather or heavy linen, onto which were sewn overlapping slices of animal hooves or horns or pieces of metal. Some were made of large pieces of metal molded or hammered to conform to the body. The purpose of that piece of armor is obvious—to protect the heart, lungs, intestines, and other vital organs.— John Mac Arthur The MacArthur New Testament Commentary, Ephesians, (Chicago, Illinois, Moody Press, 1986), p. 351
- I see the Breastplate of Righteousness as guarding the “heart”. Why does the heart need to be guarded so carefully? Proverbs 4:23
- What is man’s biggest problem and why? Isaiah 64:6, Romans 3:10, 23
- What are some of the ways most people try to solve their lack of righteousness?
- How did God solve man’s righteousness problem? 2 Corinthians 5:21, Titus 3:5, 1 Peter 1:18-19, Romans 5:1, 9
- Whose righteousness does God see when He sees a Christian? How does this make all the difference in the world?
- Every true Christian has been declared righteous by God. This is positional righteousness.
- What is the difference between positional righteousness and practical righteousness?
- Why do we struggle with practical righteousness? 1 John 1:8, Romans 7:19
- How is a “Breastplate of Righteousness” helpful?
- What does Romans 13:14 suggest about the Breastplate of Righteousness?
- What procedure does Galatians 2:19-21 give for putting on the Breastplate of Righteousness?
- How does Romans 6:17-18 encourage you?
- How are putting on the Breastplate of Righteousness and being filled with the Spirit similar? Ephesians 5:18, Galatians 5:22-23
- Why should I daily desire the Breastplate of Righteousness and the Filling of the Spirit?
- How steep is the cost for these things? Luke 9:23
- How permanent is your positional righteousness? John 10:27-29
- How permanent is practical righteousness right now?
- When will your practical righteousness become permanent? 1 John 3:1-2
- How can we contrast Heaven and life here on earth? Revelation 21:7-8