RELIEF FROM FINANCIAL ANXIETY – MATTHEW 6:19-34
AT THE FEET OF JESUS – THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS IN MATTHEW #7
- When do we tend to get stressed about finances?
- Why is it so easy for people to run into financial trouble?
- Why should we, as Christians, have a good “handle” on our finances?
No matter what century people live in, money and the things money can buy has caused people anxiety. As Christ-followers, we have our Lord’s teaching on money to follow. It is comforting to know that God does not want us to be anxious, so we have been given guidelines.
INVEST CAREFULLY – Vss. 19-21
- 19 – What are some ways a typical American will invest his or her money?
- Is it wrong to have things or big bank accounts and/or investments?
- What is the ultimate end of these things?
- 20 – What are some of the ways we can invest to lay up treasures in Heaven? Proverbs 19:17, 2 Corinthians 9:6-11, 3 John 1:5-8
- 21 – This should cause soul searching. “Where’s your treasure? There’s your heart!”
THINK CLEARLY – Vss. 22-23
- Someone’s spiritual eyes are defective when they are darkened with a desire to have physical pleasures and things.
- When the primary goal of our lives is physical success, our vision is darkened.
PRIORITIZE CAUTIOUSLY – Vs. 24
- Something or someone will always motivate or control you. It will either be God or something else. In this case it is money.
- Either we serve God, or we serve an idol. Colossians 3:5
PROCEED CALMLY – Vss. 25-30
- 25 – Life is more than stuff!
- 26 – Birds are valuable! We’re more valuable than them (Genesis 1:27). Although we are expected to work, we are not expected to fret. Genesis 2:15, 2 Thessalonians 3:10
- 27 – And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? (ESV)
- 28 – Why do people sometimes take unnecessary care about what they wear?
- 28-30 – Because we are more valuable than the flowers, God will care for us.
- What should a Christian take into consideration about his appearance?
SEEK COMPLETELY – Vss. 31-34
- 31-32 – As Christ-followers, we are not to be concerned about the same things that the world is concerned about. We have higher priorities. Romans 12:1-2, 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
- 33 – Consider the ultimate priorities for contentment.
- 34 – Our troubles are measured out by God. Don’t borrow trouble! Today’s are enough!