PRAYER PRIMER – Matthew 6:7-16
AT THE FEET OF JESUS – JESUS’ TEACHINGS IN MATTHEW #6
- What is the purpose of a paint primer? How about a reading primer?
- When we think of the purpose of a primer, it is to be something at the base or basic.
- Why would Jesus give a primer on prayer? Matthew 6:5-7
- When we use the Lord’s Prayer as a model, for whom are we praying?
- Let’s check out the basic ingredients of the Lord’s Prayer.
PERSON – Our Father which art in heaven,
- Our relationship to God through Jesus Christ makes us comfortable praying “Our Father”. John 1:12-13
- How are you comforted that God is your Father?
- God is over all! Therefore, He is in total charge. Romans 11:33-36
PRAISE – Hallowed be thy name.
- Because God is Holy, He is to be set apart as Holy in our lives. He is to be worshipped. Psalm 33:1-9, Psalm 100:1-2, Philippians 4:4
PRIORITIES – Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
- My desire should be for Jesus to come back and establish His Kingdom. Matthew 25:31
- My desire should be for God’s Kingdom to come into my life, the lives of believers, and the lives of unbelievers through salvation.
- I should ask for the Lord’s will to be done in every situation. When I know what it is, I can ask specifically. Matthew 26:39, 1 John 5:14-15
PROVISION – Give us this day our daily bread.
- We are dependent on God for all our daily needs. How should this affect our attitude?
- Philippians 4:19 is a great encouragement. What is the “catch” in Philippians 4:14-18?
PENITENCE – And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
- This promise of forgiveness is a great promise. 1 John 1:9, Psalm 32:5, Matthew 6:14
- The danger is not forgiving others as God has forgiven us. Matthew 6:15, Colossians 3:13
PRESERVATION – And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
- Our desire should be to be as far away from temptation as possible. 1 Corinthians 10:12-14
- Our desire should be to be as far away from evil and the evil one as possible. 1 Peter 5:8-9
PREEMINENCE – For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
- Recognize God’s ownership in your life! His is the kingdom!
- Recognize God’s strength in your life! His is the power!
- Give God the credit in every part of your life! His is the glory!
- Recognize God’s permanence in your life! “Forever!”