EXODUS 4:17-31 – ACTION! REACTION!
For every action, all that we do and say, there will be a reaction or response. Some examples:
- If we blow into a balloon, the balloon will inflate or make a hissing sound that there is a leak.
- If we hit something or someone, for any reason, there will be a reaction, such as, a dent in a wall, a loosened jar, a machine that starts or a broken hand (meaning damage to ourselves.)
- If we hug a person, the person will respond in many different ways. The person may hug back, refuse to be hugged, smile, give no response at all, (Remember, sometimes no reaction is really a reaction.), and/or verbal response.
- If we say something to another person or a group, there will be a reaction, largely depending on how we say it and to whom we are speaking. We might get a laugh, tears, a verbal attack, a smile, or a promise to change, just to mention a few possibilities.
- When God speaks to us through His Word, we might respond by ignoring Him, promising to change, getting angry, say thank you etc.
In Exodus 4:17-31, Moses headed back to Egypt, after finally deciding to obey God as described in Exodus 4:1-18 (See MOSES SAID, THE LORD SAID. (Exodus 4:1-18) – Sermon Seeds) For every action in this true story, someone reacted.
MOSES WENT. GOD INSTRUCTED – Exodus 4:14-23
As Moses went God gave him clear instructions, telling Moses exactly what was expected of Him. As we walk in obedience to God, He will guide us.
GOD JUDGED. ZIPPORAH ACTED – Exodus 4:24-26
Evidently Moses had not circumcised their second son. This was disobedience to what God called Abraham (Genesis 17:9-14).
God was judging Moses for his disobedience. Zipporah apparently didn’t like the cutting of her son, and might have resisted his circumcision in the first place. She realized to that to save her husband, she had to circumcise the child. She did. There are times when God will discipline us so we will learn to follow Him. Hebrews 12:5-13
GOD DIRECTED. AARON OBEYED – EXODUS 4:27
God told Aaron to meet Moses. He did.
AARON SPOKE. MOSES VALIDATED (SHOWED PROOF) – EXODUS 4:28-30
Aaron spoke the Lord’s message. Moses validated or verified that what Aaron said was true with signs God told him to perform. Exodus 4:2-9
THE PEOPLE BELIEVED. THE PEOPLE WORSHIPPED. – Exodus 4:31
When we believe God, we will worship God.