1 TIMOTHY 1:3-11 – ACCURACY IS IMPORTANT!
1 TIMOTHY – CHURCH LIFE ESSENTIALS
Accuracy is important! Have you ever,
- Ordered something to eat and given the wrong food?
- Been given a phone number and found out it was the wrong one?
- Showed up for an event and found out you had the wrong date?
- Been told that something was true when it wasn’t?
Accuracy is important. As we begin a series of messages in 1 Timothy this morning, we discover that Paul is telling his protégé, Timothy, that in church life “Accuracy is important!” False teachers in Ephesus were teaching wrong things, and they needed to be stopped!
The Book of 1 Timothy is teaching The Essentials of Church Life. Timothy was Paul’s representative, to make sure that proper behavior and practices within the local church were followed. 1 Timothy 3:15
We find out what’s important for us as a local church and as members of the church community. We learn the essentials of church life.
THE LETTER INTRODUCED – 1 Timothy 1:1-2
- The Greeter – Paul
- The Greeted – Timothy
- The Greeting – Grace, mercy, peace
THE ASSIGNMENT – 1 Timothy 1:3-4
- 3 – “Urged” could be rendered “charged” or “commanded”.
- Some were teaching false doctrine, adding law to grace. Galatians 1:6-8
- 4 – The Old Testament was being used to make up myths and genealogies (stories about the genealogies).
- They were teaching these things instead godly edification or the stewardship of God or plan of God which by faith. God’s good news is always based on faith.
THE AIM – 1 Timothy 1:5
- The aim of Paul’s command to Timothy was so love would be experienced and shared. Love is the result of a pure heart, a good conscience, and a pure faith.
- Faith begins by the cleansing of forgiveness. Titus 3:4-7
- Faith continues as we “walk by faith and not by sight”.
THE ANTAGONISTS – 1 Timothy 1:6-7
- 6 – Some strayed. From what did they stray? The faith principle of salvation! They wandered off!
- 7 – Basically, they want to be teachers, but don’t know what they’re talking about! They were confusing law and grace.
THE ASSESSMENT – 1 Timothy 1:8-10
- 8 – Paul asserts that the law is good when used for what it is intended. It is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ Galatians 3:21-24
- 9-10 – The law was given to convict us and to show us just how unrighteous we are. The law was given for the unrighteous, not the righteous, because there are none!
THE ANSWER – 1 Timothy 1:11
The answer to an unrighteous people is the glorious Gospel of the blessed God.