A GOOD FRIEND!
PROVERBS 12:26, 17:17, 18:24, 27:5-6,9,10,17
In general, what makes a friend a good friend?
- In specific, what makes a friend a good Christian friend?
- Tell us about a good Christian friend you have or had.
The Book of Proverbs has some neat things to say about friendship.
THE CHOICE OF A FRIEND – Proverbs 12:26, Proverbs 18:24a
- We should be careful in choosing our closest friends. Why? Proverbs 13:20, Psalm 1:1,
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
- Proverbs 18:24a (ESV) – A man of many companions may come to ruin…
THE COUNCIL OF A FRIEND – Proverbs 27:5-6, 9
- 5-6 – A true friend will rebuke us and tell us the truth. Galatians 6:1, Proverbs 25:11
- Why is it hard to be honest with a friend?
- 9 – What valuable piece of good council have you received from a friend?
THE CONSISTENCY AND COMFORT OF A FRIEND – Proverbs 27:10, Proverbs 17:17
- Proverbs 27:10a – Consider Hiram and Rehoboam. 1 Kings 5:1-7, 1 Kings 12:6-8
- Proverbs 27:10a – How have you been faithful to one of your parents’ friends?
- Proverbs 27:10b, 17:17 – I used the example of one our congregation who “loves at all times.”
THE COMPETENCE OF A FRIEND – Proverbs 27:17
- In a good friendship, each person helps the other become a better person. In a good Christian friendship, each Christian helps the other become a better Christian.
- Consider David and Jonathan. 1 Samuel 18:1-4, 23:16, 2 Samuel 1:25-26
THE CHOICEST FRIEND – Proverbs 18:24, John 15:13-16
- LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT JESUS!