BROTHERS ARMED FOR BATTLE #1 – ARMED AND DANGEROUS
(A Complete Lesson Used in men’s Bible study but applicable to all.)
Ephesians 6:10-13 – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- Please react to poem “Backward Christian Soldiers”. Powerful Poetry: Backward, Christian Soldiers – Anonymous (finestofthewheat.org)
- What do you think is the attitude of the average Christian towards Christian warfare? Why?
- Why is Satan happy when the Christian is unaware, afraid, or unresponsive concerning the battle?
- Why is it important that Christians fight the battle together?
Hebrews 3:12-13 – Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Hebrews 10:24-25 – And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
We as brothers in Christ are involved together in a spiritual battle against the world, the flesh and the devil. Praise God for the armor that He has provided for us. It assures us of victory as we are “armed and dangerous”.
ASSIGNED BRETHREN – Vs. 10
- How is this verse contrary to the view of the average Christian? 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Why do we have great potential for victory?
- On what is our true strength and power based?
Ephesians 1:19-21 – And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
- How important is it for us to believe God if we accept the assignment of being a soldier and expect to successfully stand in battle? Luke 1:37, Isaiah 41:10
AWARE WARRIORS – Vss. 11-12
- Vs. 11 – Who is Satan? Why is he happy when you ignore or minimize his existence? See Isaiah 14:12-15, Ezekiel 28:12-18, 1 Peter 5:8
- Wiles means “cunning, crafty arts, strategems.” — Bible Exposition Commentary – New Testament (Wiersbe)
- What are some of the “tricks of the devil” that we need to be aware of?
- Vs. 12 – What does the word “wrestle” tell you about the battle in which we are involved?
- What do we learn about Satan from this verse? How does this reinforce our need for the power of God and the encouragement of brothers?
The struggle is not physical (against flesh and blood); it is a spiritual conflict against the spiritual “Mafia.” Though the ranks of satanic forces cannot be fully categorized, the first two (rulers and authorities) have already been mentioned in 1:21 and 3:10. Paul added the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil. Their sphere of activity is in the heavenly realms, the fifth occurrence of this phrase, which is mentioned in the New Testament only in 1:3, 20; 2:6; 3:10; 6:12. Satan, who is in the heavens until he will be cast out in the middle of the Tribulation, is trying to rob believers of the spiritual blessings God has given them (Eph. 1:3) John F. Walvoord and Roy B. Zuck, Eds., Bible Knowledge Commentary New Testament Edition (Wheaton Illinois, Victor Books, 1983) p.643
ARMED SOLDIERS – Vs. 13
- According to this verse, what is our primary duty as soldiers? How is this contrary to some of our concepts of warfare? How is it consistent with the character of God?
- When most armies go to war it is the duty of the rulers to provide the weapons. What is the duty of the soldier?
- Why is God’s armor superior to anything Satan can throw at you?
- Remember Satan is a creature, not the creator!
- If God’s armor is so superior, why do so many Christian soldiers lose so many battles?
- How do I know that I’ve done all I can to stand?
- How is every day an “evil day”?
FOR THIS WEEK:
- Pray for your brothers that they will stand firm and fully armed.
- As you meditate on Ephesians 6:10-18, ask God to teach you concerning the use of His armor.
- Prayerfully make sure your armor is in place each morning.
Next week we will begin to itemize the various pieces of armor at our disposal.