ON OUR KNEES – LEARNING FROM MEN OF PRAYER
WANTING GOD’S BEST
LESSON #4 – JABEZ
A COMPLETE LESSON
V Many men want things that are the “best”! What are some of those things? For example – “The Best Truck”.
V What are some problems associated with wanting what is best?
V What are some of the things that we should seek the best in, such as, the best marriage relationship possible?
V What are some of the best things that God has to offer? Why do we not always want them?
V How should we go about getting God’s best?
1 Chronicles 4:9-10 - And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.  And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
In 1 Chronicles 4:9-10, a long genealogy is interrupted by the author in order to point out a man named Jabez. He stops his droning of names for a moment to point out one man, Jabez, who was different from everyone else! It seems that he's saying, "Don't miss this guy, he's special."
· What do you think it means that Jabez was more honorable than his brethren?
· We should try to be honorable in all areas of life. What are some of those specific areas?
· Jabez’ name means “pain”, “sorrow” or “sorrowful”. His mother bore him in sorrow or “pain”. Perhaps it was the pain of child-birth or perhaps the mother was a widow when he was born.
· In spite of life being hard for Jabez he turned out well. It is because he asked God for the things he wanted.
· Do you think this was a selfish prayer? What is the reason for your opinion?
JABEZ WANTED GOD’S BLESSING
Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed…
· Jabez wanted great blessings from God. Why should we want the same?
· Who should decide what blessings we get and why?
· In what ways has God already blessed the believer?
Ephesians 1:3-7 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:  Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,  To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.  In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
· What are some of the blessings that God is willing to bestow upon the believer according to the following scriptures?
Numbers 6:24-26 - The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:  The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:  The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
Philippians 1:2 - Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 15:13 - Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
JABEZ WANTED GOD’S INFLUENCE
…and enlarge my coast…
· Jabez was asking God to enlarge his borders or his realm of influence.
· What are the areas of influence in our lives?
· In what ways would it be good to expand our influence?
· In what ways should we want God to expand the influence of our church?
· What must we be ready to do when we pray this prayer for ourselves and our church?
JABEZ WANTED GOD’S POWER
…and that thine hand might be with me…
· What is Jabez admitting here that we men sometimes have trouble admitting?
· Why is the order of this request in Jabez prayer significant?
· Comment on the importance of these verses for those of us who would like to see our realm of influence increase:
Zechariah 4:6 - Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
John 15:4-5 - Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
JABEZ WANTED GOD’S PROTECTION
…and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!
· Why do you think Jabez made this request?
· How will doing wrong grieve you?
· How will keeping short accounts with God give you God’s best?
· How does the wrong that others do grieve us?
· How can God protect us from what others do to grieve us?
A PRAYER FOR THIS WEEK:
1. Bless me indeed.
2. Enlarge my area of influence.
3. Put your hand upon me.
4. Keep me from evil that it might not grieve me.