CHRISTIAN CHARACTER CLINIC
2 Peter 1:5-7
WEEK #1 of 9 - INTRODUCTION: WHY BOTHER?
(A Complete Lesson)
2 Peter 1:5-7 - And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;  And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;  And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
· Why is the character of a Christian important?
· What are some of the specific flaws that Christians sometimes have in their character?
· What motivation should we have to develop our character?
· How much time and effort should be made in developing our Christian character?
2 Peter 1:5-7 gives us a list of eight character qualities that should be developed by each Christian. In upcoming weeks we plan to examine each one of these qualities in detail and discuss the development of that quality in our lives. This week we will examine 2 Peter
1:8-11 in order to answer a very basic question, “Why should I bother to strive to develop these character traits in my life?”
1. I WANT TO BE PRODUCTIVE – Vs. 8
· Physical skills need to be developed. A pianist, typist or juggler generally becomes better with practice.
· The Spiritual qualities listed above must be in us and on the increase (abounding). For them to be on the increase I must practice them.
· The word “barren” means “idle” or “inactive”. How have you seen Christians in your lifetime become idle or inactive? Why has that happened?
· In what ways should a Christian’s life be fruitful?
· Why should I want to be active and fruitful for Christ?
2. I WANT TO BE INSIGHTFUL – Vs. 9a
· Please note that the lack of these character traits in the life of a Christian is a tragedy! Because of whom we serve and who dwells within us, we should not lack these qualities.
· What are the benefits of spiritual perception?
· How is spiritual blindness detrimental?
3. I WANT TO BE GRATEFUL – Vs. 9b
· How does forgetfulness hinder gratefulness?
· How does being grateful encourage me to develop Christian Character?
· What should I be most grateful for?
4. I WANT TO BE ASSURED – Vs. 10
· Why can this verse not suggest that I need to work to stay saved?
· Why does God want me to be assured of my salvation?
· The more I develop the above character traits, the more assured I will feel of my standing with God. Why?
· What are some things that Christians tend to stumble over or fall into when they are not practicing the above character traits?
5. I WANT TO BE TRIUMPHANT – Vs. 11
· How will these character traits reduce the fear of death?
· Why will developing these character traits give us an abundant entrance into our Lord’s kingdom?
1 Corinthians 3:11-15 - For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
1 Corinthians 4:5 - Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
2 Corinthians 5:10 - For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.