REAL MEN STRUGGLE
REAL MEN #7 of 7 – Habakkuk
This is a complete lesson.
L Give some examples of things that have happened in this world that just seem unfair or do not make sense.
L Why do Christians sometimes struggle with the will of God?
L Why do Christians struggle with things that do not appear fair or just on God’s part?
L What current events might test the faith of some Christians?
Habakkuk was a man who struggled with the evil that was around Him and how God appeared to be handling it. Although Habakkuk struggled, he came out victorious.
Habakkuk lived in what we would call the Southern
FAITH TESTED – 1:1-2:1
COMPLAINT - Vss. 1-4
Ø Habakkuk had a "burden". He was carrying a heavy load. Vs. 1
Ø According to Verse 2, what does Habakkuk’s problem appear to be? Do we ever have a similar problem?
Ø Habakkuk describes more clearly the sins that he was concerned about in verse 3. Have you seen similar problems in “Christian America”?
Ø Habakkuk complains about the perversion of justice in verse 4.
Ø Was Habakkuk right to complain?
CONSOLATION - Vss. 5-11
ü Vs. 5 - God graciously answers Habakkuk and tells him that He is going to do something Habakkuk won't believe.
Vss. 6-11 - God
tells Habakkuk that He will judge
CONFUSION - Vss. 12-17
ü Habakkuk appears to have accepted God's answer in verse 12.
ü However, Habakkuk became very confused in verses
ü Why was Habakkuk confused? Vss. 14-17
ü Can you relate to Habakkuk’s confusion?
CONFIDENCE - 2:1
ü Yes, Habakkuk was confused, but he decided to wait on God for an answer to his confusion.
ü Why was this a wise move on Habakkuk’s part?
ü Had Habakkuk lost his faith?
FAITH TRUSTING – 2:1-20
PARTICULARS ABOUT THE PROPHET - Vss. 1-3
· In his trust we find Habakkuk:
Watching - Vs. 1
Writing - Vs. 2
Waiting - Vs. 3
· Why are these three good disciplines to practice when we struggle with what God is doing?
· What was the premise that Habakkuk was making that allowed him watch, write, and wait without being totally frustrated or abandoning his faith?
ENCOURAGEMENT FOR THE JUST - Vs. 4
· "The just shall live by his faith."
· How is this an encouragement?
· How do we go about living by faith?
WARNINGS FOR THE WICKED - Vss. 5-19
· What groups are warned in these verses?
· Why are these verses comforting?
· Why are these verses disturbing?
REMINDER FOR THE RIGHTEOUS - Vs. 20
· What is significant about the Lord being in His holy temple?
· How should a silent earth comfort us?
FAITH TRIUMPHANT – 3:17-19
REALITY OF TRAGEDY - Vs. 17
V What are some of the tragedies we might be forced to face?
V Is it wrong to consider the possibilities of tragedy and what our response will be?
REJOICING IN TRAGEDY - Vs. 18
V Habakkuk is saying, "No matter what happens, I am going to rejoice in the Lord." Some reasons why I can rejoice in tragedy:
1. God is the God of my salvation. He is my deliverer in
this life, and the one who has saved me so I have no fear
of hell, but anxious anticipation of Heaven.
2. God doesn't change. Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8
3. God says to rejoice in all situations. Psalm 118:24,
1 Thessalonians 5:16, Philippians 4:4.