THE BIG TEN
(THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)
#10 - TONGUE TIED
Exodus 20:16 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Proverbs 6:16-19 - These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, …A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
· Why does the Lord hate pride?
· How does pride lead to a lying tongue?
· What is the current view of lying in our culture and how prevalent is it?
· In relation to American politics, what is disturbing about the use of the tongue?
· How do false witnesses do damage?
· How is the tongue used to “sow discord among brethren?”
The ninth commandment is a reminder that God does not want us to lie about somebody else. The Bible has a lot to say about the use of the tongue and we will consider some of these things in this study.
THE LYING TONGUE
· Ephesians 4:25 - Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
· Psalms 101:7 - He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.
· Proverbs 14:5 - A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.
· Colossians 3:9-10 - Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
· Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
THE LETHAL TONGUE
· James 3:1-12 - 1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. 2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. 3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. 4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. 7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: 8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. 11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? 12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
· James 4:11-12 - Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?
· 1 Peter 2:1 - Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
THE LOOSE TONGUE
· Leviticus 19:16 - Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people…
· Proverbs 11:13 - A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.
· Proverbs 16:28 - A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.
· Proverbs 18:8 - The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
· Proverbs 26:20 - Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
THE LIKEABLE TONGUE
· Proverbs 15:1-4 - A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness. The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.
· Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
· Ephesians 4:15 - But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
· Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
· Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
· Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!