#10 of 16 – THE ACTION GOSPEL
· What did Jesus do that was controversial?
· Why were Jesus' actions often controversial?
· When and why should Christians be controversial today?
In Mark 10 we see Jesus taking some controversial teaching action on several subjects.
A. THE CHALLENGE BY THE PHARISEES - Vss. 1-2
B. THE COMMAND OF MOSES - Vss. 3-4
C. THE COMMENTARY BY JESUS - Vss. 5-9
D. THE CLARIFICATION FOR THE DISCIPLES - Vss. 10-12
· Why would Jesus' words rankle most people seeking divorce?
· Why do Christians divorce?
· Why should Christians do everything possible to save a marriage?
· What should be done when divorce becomes a possibility?
A. REFUSAL BY THE DISCIPLES - Vs. 13
B. REBUKE BY JESUS - Vss. 14-15
C. RECEPTION OF THE CHILDREN - Vs. 16
¨ What do you think was the disciple's reasoning by refusing the children? - Vs. 13
¨ What do the words of such is the
¨ What should we do as a church to receive the children?
A. SERIOUS CONVICTION - Vs. 17
B. STRICT COMMANDMENTS - Vss. 18-20
C. SPECIFIC CHOICE - Vss. 21-22
§ What does Jesus imply in verse 18?
§ The rich young ruler had kept the commands directed toward mankind.
§ Why did the man rightly feel that he lacked something?
§ Why did Jesus insist that the man sell all and follow Him? Is this a requirement for all disciples?
§ Why did the man walk away sad? Do people walk away from Jesus with the same attitude today?
A. AMAZING STATEMENT - Vss. 23-25
B. ASTONISHED DISCIPLES - Vs. 26
C. ASSURING SAVIOR - Vs. 27
q What hinders a rich man from being saved? A poor man?
q How did God do the impossible for rich and poor alike?
A. PETER'S COMMENT - Vs. 28
B. JESUS' COMFORT - Vss. 29-30
C. JESUS' CHALLENGE - Vs. 31
Ø What question was Peter implying by his statement in Vs.28?
Ø In what ways do Christians receive the good things mentioned in Vss. 29-30?
Ø What is the ultimate reward?
Ø How does Vs. 31 challenge us today?
A. THE DISCIPLES' FEAR - Vs. 32
B. JESUS' FORECAST - Vss. 33-34
A. GREAT REQUEST - Vss. 35-37
B. GREAT REQUIREMENTS - Vss. 38-40
C. GREAT RESENTMENT - Vs. 41
D. GREAT RESPONSIBILITY - Vss. 43-45
ü What is your opinion of the question asked by James and John?
ü Why did Jesus tell them that they didn't know what they were asking for?
ü In what ways were James and John baptized with the same baptism?
ü Why were the disciples so angry with James and John?
ü In relation to other disciples, what is the greatest thing we can do? Why?
ü Whose example are we to follow and why?
A. GREAT ANNOUNCEMENT - Vss. 46-47a - "Jesus is coming!"
B. STUBBORN APPEAL - Vss. 47b-51
C. WONDERFUL ANSWER - Vs. 52 - He was healed!
D. LOYAL AMBITION - Vs. 52
· What can we learn from Bartimaeus?
· His faith made him whole! We know that saving faith makes us whole. How does the faith of a Christian make him whole on a daily basis?
· If we've been saved, we've received our "sight". LET'S FOLLOW JESUS!