Hebrews studies series
Hebrews 13:7, 17
ABOUT YOUR PASTOR
HEBREWS STUDY #30
A Complete Lesson
· Tell us about a good pastor you knew who is now with the Lord. What made him a good pastor?
· What are some legitimate expectations that a congregation should have of a pastor?
· What are some legitimate expectations that a pastor should have of a church?
· What are some unrealistic expectations that some people have of a pastor?
· What are some unrealistic expectations that some pastors have of a church?
Hebrews 13:7, 17 talk about the Pastor and give us some good information that helps us understand his duties as a servant of Christ in the local congregation.
Remember them which have the rule over you.
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves:,
· Those who have the rule over us are leaders. In this case past leaders are being remembered.
· Specifically in view here are the “elders” or “bishops”. The two titles refer to the same person. It is a man who has distinguished himself in spiritual age and character as an elder. It is a man who looks after the congregation as a bishop or an overseer.
· Elders are always mentioned in the plural in local church. There is always more than one.
· What Biblical qualifications are there for elders? 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9
· According to 1 Peter 5:1-4, how should elders lead?
· In what ways should a pastor rule a congregation?
· In what ways should a congregation submit themselves to the pastor?
· In what ways should a pastor submit himself to the congregation?
…who have spoken unto you the word of God:
V What is the most important responsibility that an elder can have?
1 Timothy 5:17 - Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
1 Timothy 4:13 - Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
V Why is preaching and teaching God’s Word so very important?
V How can a congregation help a pastor fulfil this responsibility?
V How can a congregation hinder a pastor’s ministry of the Word?
…whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
v Have you ever followed a pastor’s example? How?
v 1 Timothy 4:12 shows us what a pastor or elder should be modeling.
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in
word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
v How does one model faith?
v What should be the results or the end of a pastor’s manner of life after he is gone?
for they watch for your souls,
Ø Why is “watching for souls” such a serious responsibility?
Ø How should pastors watch for souls?
Ø How can you help your pastor fulfill this responsibility?
…as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
¯ When will the pastor give account of his ministry? Why will this event be more traumatic for a pastor than for you?
James 3:1 - My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
¯ How can you make your pastor’s ministry a joy?
¯ How can you make your pastor’s ministry a grief?
¯ Why is giving grief to the pastor when it is not deserved “unprofitable” right now?
¯ Why is giving grief to the pastor when it is not deserved “unprofitable” in the future? 1 Corinthians 5:10