Hebrews studies series
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
HEBREWS STUDY #3
This lesson is complete with study questions.
s What is the value of taking time to think?
s What are some of the things that all people should take time to think about?
s What events in your lifetime have made people stop and think?
s What are some things that Christians should periodically stop and think about?
s How do we know that God wants us to think?
s How do we know when God wants us to think?
In Hebrews 2:1-4, we are given something to think about. It is an outgrowth of what has been said in chapter 1.
Ø The “therefore” points us back to chapter 1 where we are reminded that Christ is the awesome son and the superior son.
Ø He is the Awesome Son:
1. JESUS CHRIST IS HEIR OF ALL THINGS – Vs. 2
2. JESUS CHRIST IS CREATOR – Vs. 2
3. JESUS CHRIST IS THE BRIGHTNESS OF GOD’S GLORY - Vs. 3
4. JESUS CHRIST IS THE EXPRESS IMAGE OF GOD’S PERSON –Vs. 3
5. JESUS CHRIST HOLDS THE WORLD TOGETHER – Vs. 3
6. JESUS CHRIST PURGED OUR SINS – Vs. 3
7. JESUS CHRIST SITS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD – Vs. 3
Ø He is the Superior Son:
1. HIS NAME – Vss. 4-5 (Psalm 2:7, 2 Samuel 7:14)
2. HIS POSITION – Vs. 6
3. HIS RIGHTEOUS REIGN – Vss. 8-9 (Psalm 45:6-7)
4. HIS JOY – Vs. 9
5. HIS CREATIVE ACTS – Vs. 10 (Psalm 102:25-27)
6. HIS PERMANENCE – Vss. 11-12
Ø The words, “give more earnest heed” mean to “pay attention”.
Ø The words “let them slip” mean “drift away”?
Ø What are some things that Christians stop paying attention to?
Ø What are some things that you have seen Christians “drift away” from?
Ø Is this drifting a gradual or a sudden thing?
ü In some way the angels were involved with the giving of the Law on Mt. Sinai. They were involved with the giving of the Ten Commandments and other laws.
Galatians 3:19 - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of
transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and
it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Acts 7:53 - Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have
not kept it.
ü According to Hebrews 2:2 this word communicated through angels was steadfast. The word was final! It stood as the law!
ü What were some of the punishments that were given for violating Old Testament Law?
ü How exacting was judgment on disobedience?
à What neglect have you seen that troubles or angers you?
à Why is a Christian’s neglect more serious than any other kind of neglect?
à What are some of the ways Christians show neglect?
à Make a mental note of any Christian neglect in your own life. What are you going to do about it?
à How is salvation “great”?
à How does a Christian receive retribution for his sins in this life? Hebrews 12:5-6
à How does a Christian receive retribution for his sins in the next life? 1 Corinthians 5:10
· There are three witnesses to our great salvation mentioned here.
· How was salvation spoken of by the Lord?
· How did the apostles confirm what the Lord had said?
· Of what significance were the acts of God mentioned in verse 4?
· What witness of your salvation have you received? Romans 8:14-17