BROTHERS ARMED FOR BATTLE
A MAN’S BIBLE STUDY ON THE CHRISTIAN’S ARMOR
(THIS STUDY IS APPLICABLE FOR ALL, NOT JUST MEN!)
#6 - HELPFUL HEADGEAR
Ephesians 6:17 - And take the helmet of salvation…
1 Thessalonians 5:8 - …and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
· How does Satan attack your brain? Check out Philippians 4:8 for clues.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
· Why does Satan attack your brain?
· When is the Christian most vulnerable to Satan’s attacks on the brain?
No good Roman soldier went into battle without his helmet securely fastened on his head. A Christian should not enter Spiritual battle without “the helmet of salvation” securely in place. The helmet of (the hope of) salvation is affected by the past and affects the present and the future.
ABOUT THE HELMET
· “The fifth piece of the armor is represented by the Roman soldier’s helmet, without which he would never enter battle. Some of the helmets were made of thick leather covered with metal plates, and others were of heavy molded or beaten metal. They usually had cheek pieces to protect the face. The purpose of the helmet, of course, was to protect the head from injury, particularly from the dangerous broadsword commonly used in the warfare of that day. This was not the much smaller sword mentioned later in this verse, but was a large two-handed, double-edged sword that measured three to four feet in length. It was often carried by cavalrymen, who would swing at the heads of enemy soldiers to split their skulls or decapitate them.” John Mac Arthur The MacArthur New Testament Commentary, Ephesians, (Chicago, Illinois, Moody Press, 1986), p. 360
Ephesians 2:8-9 (ESV) - For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
· Why is it important for a person to know he or she is saved?
· How does a person know that he or she is saved?
· Why would Satan want you to think that you have lost your salvation?
· How and why does Satan use false security as a tool?
· How should the following Scriptures encourage us?
John 10:27-31 - My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
Galatians 4:6-7 - And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Hebrews 13:5-6 – Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
· Why is contentment important to the Christian?
· What causes discontentment among Christians?
· How do we know that Christ is present in our lives?
· Why should this encourage us?
· Fear is the common enemy mentioned at the end of this verse. Why is fear so devastating?
Proverbs 29:25 - The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
Romans 8:35-39 - Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
· What are some of the occasions on which a Christian may feel separated from the love of Christ?
· What is often the cause of trouble in our lives?
2 Timothy 3:12 - Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
· To you, what does it mean to be more than a conqueror?
· How is being “persuaded” and “taking the helmet of salvation” the same thing?
· How does being persuaded of the permanence of Christ’s love help you to handle the struggles mentioned at the end of the passage above?
Titus 2:11-14 - For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
· What is “the blessed hope”?
· How should the “blessed hope” affect our behavior?
· How should the word of Christ affect our behavior?
1 John 3:2-3 - Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
· According to the verses above what should excite us about the coming of the Lord Jesus and how shall it affect us?
Revelation 22:1-6 - And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
· What aspects of the Eternal State excite you and why?
· Salvation is in three tenses, past present and future. The “helmet of salvation covers the past, present and future.