BROTHERS ARMED FOR BATTLE
A MAN’S BIBLE STUDY ON THE CHRISTIAN’S ARMOR
(THIS STUDY IS APPLICABLE FOR ALL, NOT JUST MEN!)
#5 – SHIELDED!
Ephesians 6:16 - Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
What part does faith have in your daily walk with God?
· Can you think of a specific instance when faith has protected you?
· How do you feel when you are not trusted?
· How does God feel when He is not trusted?
· Do you think that Christians take the “Wiles of the Devil” seriously? Explain.
An important part of a Roman soldier’s armor was his shield. An important part of our armor is “The Shield of Faith”.
ABOUT THE SHIELD
“The shield was large, usually about four feet by two feet, made of wood, and covered with tough leather. As the soldier held it before him, it protected him from spears, arrows, and "fiery darts." The edges of these shields were so constructed that an entire line of soldiers could interlock shields and march into the enemy like a solid wall. This suggests that we Christians are not in the battle alone. The "faith" mentioned here is not saving faith, but rather living faith, a trust in the promises and the power of God. Faith is a defensive weapon which protects us from Satan's fiery darts. In Paul's day, arrows, dipped in some inflammable substance and ignited, were shot at the enemy.” Warren W. Wiersbe, Bible Exposition Commentary - New Testament, Volume 2, (Wheaton, Illinois, Victor Books, 1989), p. 58
THE IMPORTANCE OF FAITH
· Why do you think that faith is part of “The Big Three”?
1 Corinthians 13:13 - And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
· Why has God deemed faith important for salvation?
Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
· Why do you think God says “The just shall live by faith” four times in the Scriptures? Habakkuk 2:4, Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38
· How do people try to please God without faith?
· Why is it impossible to please God without faith?
Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
· Why is faith an essential ingredient to prayer?
Mark 11:22-24 - And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
· Why is faith an essential ingredient to witnessing and to leading the Christian life?
John 15:5 - I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
· What lesson can we learn from the Children of Israel when they failed to believe God concerning their entrance into the Promised Land?
Psalms 95:6-11 - …To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work. Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways: Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.
THE IMPLEMENTATION OF FAITH
· How does creation help our faith?
Psalms 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
· What are some of the Scripture passages and Bible stories that will help us practice faith?
Romans 10:17 - So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
· How should the relatively little amount of faith that’s needed encourage us? How does it discourage us?
Matthew 17:16-17 - And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
· How do we take the shield of faith?
THE IMPACT OF FAITH
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
· What are some of the “fiery darts” that Satan likes to hurl at you?
· What are some of the other “fiery darts” that are in Satan’s arsenal?
· Why is Satan so dangerous?
2 Corinthians 11:14 - And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
John 8:44 - Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
· Remember when faith is our shield it is really God who is the shield.
Psalms 3:3 - But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
Psalms 28:7 - The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
Psalms 84:11 - For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
Proverbs 30:5 - Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.