BROTHERS ARMED FOR BATTLE
A MAN’S BIBLE STUDY ON THE CHRISTIAN’S ARMOR
(THIS STUDY IS APPLICABLE FOR ALL, NOT JUST MEN!)
# 4 - UNMOVABLE!
Stand therefore… - Ephesians 6:14
And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; - Ephesians 6:15
· What do you do to prepare yourself to go hunting or to prepare your home for winter?
· Why is preparation important for a soldier?
· What are some of the different types of footwear that you have and when do you wear them?
· Why is the proper footwear important to a soldier?
The Christian Soldier needs to be armed with the proper footwear so that he will stand in the day of battle and not run. The unmovable soldier is one who has who has his “feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.”
ABOUT THE BOOTS
“The image Paul has in mind comes from the Roman soldier's war boot, the caliga or half-boot which the legionnaire regularly wore while on duty. It was an open-toed leather boot with a heavily nail-studded sole which was tied to the ankles and shins with straps. These were not shoes for running - for example, fleeing or pursuing an enemy… These boots served for marching, especially in battle. Their function was like today's cleated football shoe. They gave the foot traction and prevented sliding. Much ancient battle was hand-to-hand and foot-to-foot, like on the line of scrimmage, so these boots gave the Roman soldier an advantage over ill-equipped foes. The "readiness" of our text pictures us being ready with our caliga firmly planted on solid ground. Thus established, the enemy is not going to be able to push us back. Rather, we are set to advance.” R. Kent Hughes, Preaching the Word, Ephesians, The Mystery of the Body of Christ, (Wheaton, Illinois, Crossway Books,1990), p 232
· The boots that we are to wear are the preparation, or “readiness” of the Gospel of peace.
· During spiritual warfare, what is the advantage of standing in the readiness of peace?
· How and why should we be at peace in the middle of spiritual conflict?
· The Gospel or good news of Christianity is loaded with promises of peace.
· Let us consider the aspects of peace that we should readily be armed with as Christian soldiers.
THE PEACE OF HIS PARDON
Romans 5:1 - Therefore
being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 Corinthians 5:18 - And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
· How has Jesus’ pardon of your sins given you peace?
· Why has God chosen to give us the ministry of reconciliation?
· How does 1 John 1:9 contribute to your peace?
THE PEACE OF HIS PARENTAGE
Romans 8:15-17 - For
ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received
the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth
witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then
heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with
him, that we may be also glorified together.
Galatians 4:5-7 - To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
· What does permission to call God “Daddy” have to do with giving us peace?
THE PEACE OF HIS PRIESTHOOD
Hebrews 4:14-16 - Seeing
then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus
the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest
which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all
points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly
unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in
time of need.
Hebrews 7:24-25 - But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
· What does the high priesthood of the Lord Jesus Christ have to do with peace?
THE PEACE OF HIS PRESENCE
Matthew 28:20 - Teaching
them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with
you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Hebrews 13:5-6 - Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
· What do the words “always” and “never” have to do with the peace of His presence?
· Peace is often a result of a lack of faith. Doubting God’s presence or not resting in His presence will certainly cause a lack of faith!
THE PEACE OF HIS PROTECTION
Psalms 121:5-8 - The
LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not
smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all
evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy
coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
Isaiah 26:3 - Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
· What must we do to experience the peace of His presence?
· What is it about His presence that encourages you?
THE PEACE OF HIS PARTICIPATION
John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 16:33 - These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Philippians 4:6-7 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
· According to John 14:27, what is neat about the peace that Jesus gives?
· What does Jesus overcoming the world have to do with your peace? John 16:33
· How will a total prayer life that uses all aspects of prayer help Jesus give you peace? Philippians 4:6-7