BROTHERS ARMED FOR BATTLE
A MAN’S BIBLE STUDY ON THE CHRISTIAN’S ARMOR
(THIS STUDY IS APPLICABLE FOR ALL, NOT JUST MEN!)
#3 – THE RIGHT FIT
…and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
· In what ways are clothes which do not fit a problem?
· What do you do with clothes that do not fit?
· How would you define righteousness?
· Why is righteousness not a good “fit” for most people?
· Why do we need a righteousness that “fits”?
We as brothers in Christ are involved together in a spiritual battle against the world, the flesh and the devil. Praise God for the armor that He has provided for us.
The second piece of armor mentioned is the “breastplate of righteousness”. We are to be clothed with a righteousness that not only helps us live a righteous life daily, but deals with the past and future as well. The Christian has three kinds of righteousness, one of which is “practical righteousness”. This righteousness comes from being armed with the “Breastplate of Righteousness.”
ABOUT THE BREASTPLATE
· “No Roman soldier would go into battle without his breastplate, a tough, sleeveless piece of armor that covered his full torso. It was often made of leather or heavy linen, onto which were sewn overlapping slices of animal hooves or horns or pieces of metal. Some were made of large pieces of metal molded or hammered to conform to the body. The purpose of that piece of armor is obvious—to protect the heart, lungs, intestines, and other vital organs.— John Mac Arthur The MacArthur New Testament Commentary, Ephesians, (Chicago, Illinois, Moody Press, 1986), p. 351
· I see the Breastplate of Righteousness as guarding the “heart”. Why does the heart need to be guarded so carefully? Proverbs 4:23 - Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
What is man’s biggest problem
and why? Isaiah
64:6 - But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are
as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the
wind, have taken us away.
Romans 3:10 - As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
· What are some of the ways most people try to solve their lack of righteousness?
How did God solve man’s
righteousness problem? 2
Corinthians 5:21 - For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no
sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Titus 3:5 - Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
1 Peter 1:18-19 - Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold,
from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as
of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
Romans 5:9 - Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
Romans 5:1 - Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
· Whose righteousness does God see when He sees a Christian? How does this make all the difference in the world?
· Every true Christian has been declared righteous by God. This is positional righteousness.
· What is the difference between positional righteousness and practical righteousness?
Why do we struggle with
practical righteousness? 1
John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the
truth is not in us.
Romans 7:19 - For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
· How is a “Breastplate of Righteousness” helpful?
· What does Romans 13:14 suggest about the Breastplate of Righteousness? But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
· What procedure does Galatians 2:19-21 give for putting on the Breastplate of Righteousness? For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
· How does Romans 6:17-18 encourage you? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
How are putting on the
Breastplate of Righteousness and being filled with the Spirit similar? Ephesians
5:18 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with
Galatians 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
· Why should I daily desire the Breastplate of Righteousness and the Filling of the Spirit?
· How steep is the cost for these things? Luke 9:23 - And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
· How permanent is your positional righteousness? John 10:27-29 - My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
· How permanent is practical righteousness right now?
· When will your practical righteousness become permanent? 1 John 3:1-2 - Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
· How can we contrast Heaven and life here on earth? Revelation 21:7-8 - He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.