What makes a person a good detective?
Who is the most famous detective of all, and what made him so successful?
Describe the most observant person that you know.
How does being observant make you a good Bible Student?
Let's make some observations about Luke 24:50-53 and Acts 1:12-26.
OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE ASCENSION – Vss. 9-11, Luke 24:50-53
· The Apostles were spell bound concerning his ascension.
· There is a promise of Jesus’ return to earth.
They returned to
· Jesus last act on earth was to bless his followers.
· One of the results of the resurrection and ascension is worship. Vss. 52-53
· Another result of the resurrection and ascension is great joy. Vs. 52
OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION (Disciples) – Vss. 4, 12-14, 18-19
· The disciples did as they were told. Vss. 4, 12
· The 12 original Apostles are accounted for. Vss. 13, 18, 19
· Women are included. Vs. 14
· Mary is mentioned as present, but there is no special place given to her. Vs. 14
· Jesus' brethren are present. They have become believers. Vs. 14, John 7:5,
· There is unity in the group. Vs. 14, Philippians 2:1-5
· The decisions they made were based on deliberate, continual prayer.
OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE APOSTATE (Judas) – Vss. 15-20
· The business meeting that took place involved more than just the Apostles, 120 people were present. Vs. 15
· It is necessary that God's word be fulfilled. Vss. 16, 20
God's Word is inspired by the Spirit of God. Vs. 16, Psalm 109:8 - Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
· Judas fooled the other Apostles but never fooled God. Vs. 16
· Judas paid dearly for his betrayal. Vss. 17-19
· The decision to replace Judas was on the authority of God's Word. Vs. 20
OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE NEW APOSTLE (Matthias) – Vss. 21-26
· There were certain qualifications Judas' replacement needed to have, especially to be a witness of the Resurrection. Vss. 21-22
· Humanly speaking, the Apostles did the best that they could, and then left the choice up to God. Vss. 24-25
· This is the last use of casting lots mentioned in Scripture. It was an Old Testament procedure. Vs. 26,
Proverbs 16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap; but the
whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.
· There was complete order and harmony in their procedure.